Removing Gaming Harbor Toolbar after Unistall Fails

Discussion in 'Software' started by rydangel, Jul 18, 2009.

1. rydangel

rydangel Private E-2

i installed gaming harbor toolbar but i ended up with lots of pop-up ads and unable to play any games. i tried to unistall it using programs and features. I unistalled it or so the computer says, but it is still on my computer. I went to toolbars and disabled the toolbar in both IE and firefox, but it is still active. The gaming harbor search page opens every time I try to navigate to a new page. it comes on if i click on a link, and sometimes it comes on for no reason at all. How do I permently removed this from my laptop. I'm running windows vista 32 bit home premium with service pack 2. hp compaq presario CQ50 notebook pc.amd athlon dual core processor QL-60 1.90 GHz. 2GB RAM.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Download, install and update Malwarebytes then see if it will remove this pest, also download and run Ccleaner and its cleaner and issues options

3. rydangel

rydangel Private E-2

i already have malawarebytes installed and it runs and updates itself everday at 2am. i did another scan with that and it has been removed from the start menu but it is still in my toolbar. i used the registry mechanic and i removed the file from the program files too. but it is still on my computer. i was having problems with my avg freeware, so i unistalled that and installed avast home edition, i ran that too. i emptied my virus vaults, and quarentined files. but i havent been able to completely remove it. i tried to remove it using the manage add-ons, but it wouldn't let me remove it either. all i could do is disable it. i contacted best buy's geek squad(included in my notebook warranty) and they say it sounds like i have a virus and it will cost $200(which i don't have) to repair my laptop. is there anything else i could try? all my security programs say my laptop is running normally and is free of spyware and viruses. what do i do next>:confused P.S.when i clicked on the link for ccleaner i got the registry mechanic is that the right download?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Thats not right as the link indeed does goto CCleaner for me, but lets go down the track of you having malware, and forget $200 here at Majorgeeks our malware removal experts do this for FREE and they are experts at this, so follow the below guide then start a new thread in the Malware area of this forum and give brief description of your issue and attach the logs that will have been gained from running the guide *dont attach the logs in this thread, but do so in a new one in Malware forum*

Please read and follow the following READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide and once finished please start a new thread in the Malware Forum plus a guide on how to attach the logs HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

*do note as its a busy forum it may take 24/48hrs to get to your post as they work from oldest to newest treads so dont bump your thread thinking they have missed it.

5. FPS

FPS Private E-2

Just wanted to say thanks. I downloaded & ran the Malwarebytes programme and it worked perfectly. All traces of the pop up menace have disappeared

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds