Issue with new graphics card

Discussion in 'Software' started by m0u5y, Feb 26, 2010.

1. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

I just got a Gigabyte HD 4670 1gb ddr3 and installed it in my computer which is running on Vista 64 Ultimate. I'm posting the specs below.
    When I start playing any game like Sims 3 etc... it runs smoothly and the card's temperature remains cool, but not shortly after I start playing the computer turns off completely, suddenly, without warning.
    The graphics card isn't overheating, so I'm wondering if it is the power supply which is a 300W. Reading the reviews on the graphics card on newegg told us that it worked fine with that power supply but I guess they were wrong. I don't want to have to buy a power supply (I guess I might have to) so if someone can tell me what the problem could be it would be great. I'll give you any additional info on the computer that you need.
    Thanks!
    General Spec
    Brand Gateway
    Model DX4800-05e
    Recommended Usage Home / Home Office
    Processor Intel Pentium dual-core E5200(2.50GHz)
    Processor Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor
    Cache Per Processor 2MB L2 Cache
    Memory 6GB DDR2
    Hard Drive 640GB SATA 7200RPM
    Optical Drive 1 18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash Technology
    Graphics Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9200
    Audio High-definition audio with 7.1-channel audio support
    Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN
    Power Supply 300W
    Speaker USB speakers
    Keyboard Premium Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse USB Optical Mouse
    Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Motherboard
    Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 9200
    CPU
    CPU Type Pentium dual-core
    Installed Qty 1
    CPU FSB 800MHz
    CPU Speed E5200(2.50GHz)
    L2 Cache Per CPU 2MB
    CPU Socket Type LGA 775
    CPU Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor
    Graphics
    GPU/VPU Type NVIDIA GeForce 9200
    Graphics Interface Integrated video
    Memory
    Memory Capacity 6GB DDR2
    Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
    Memory Spec 2GB x 2 & 1GB x 2
    Memory Slots (Available/Total) 0/4
    Hard Drive
    HDD Capacity 640GB
    HDD Interface SATA
    HDD RPM 7200rpm
    Optical Drive
    Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
    Optical Drive Spec 18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash Technology
    Write max: 18x DVD-R, 18x DVD+R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 8x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW
    Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM
    Audio
    Audio Chipset Integrated
    Communications
    Modem 56K
    LAN Chipset Integrated
    LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
    Front Panel Ports
    Front USB 2
    Front IEEE 1394 1
    Front Audio Ports 2
    Card Reader 15-in-1 High Speed Digital Media Card Reader w/Smart Copy Button
    Compact Flash I & II, IBM Microdrive, Secure Digital (SD & Mini SD), Multi Media Card (MMC, MMC Plus, RS-MMC, and MMC Mobile), Memory Stick (MS, MS Duo, MS Pro, and MS Pro Duo), xD-Picture Card, SmartMedia Card
    Back Panel Ports
    COM 1
    PS/2 2
    Video Ports 1 VGA, 1 HDMI
    Rear USB 4
    Rear IEEE 1394 1
    RJ45 1 port
    Rear Audio Ports 6 ports
    Expansion
    PCI Slots (Available/Total) (1/2) PCI
    (1/1) PCI Express x1
    (1/1) PCI Express x16

2. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

I just removed the card. At first the computer kept shutting down over and over again until we put a fan next to it so I could finally do a system restore. I'm wondering if it really was the power supply or maybe somehow the integrated graphics card was overheating and shutting it down. I thought that the integrated card would be disabled so it wouldn't affect the computer in any way, but maybe I'm wrong?

3. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Well 300W is pretty low for that card, not far off but not up there either.
    It's not just about Wattage either, the Rails are one of the defining factors when it comes to PSU's

But judging by your last post you could be experiencing heat issues with CPU, the onboard could be the issue but I've never seen onboard overheat.

Download this...

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

It shows you your CPU temps.
    Just to eliminate.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would be thinking PSU is way too low wattage to power your HW and the GPU, could do a quick test here and enter your HW and see what wattage comes out as optimal for your PC,

While Newegg or reviews say it works fine on that PSU, they cannot calculate for the other HW that you have.

5. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

I already have temp monitors for everything, but the on board won't show up once the new graphics card is installed so I don't know if it is still active when the new card is installed. I'm guessing it is the power supply after all -- it is just odd that it kept shutting down minutes after start up even after I removed the card, that is until we turned on a fan and pointed it towards the vents.
    I will order a new power supply anyway, we already have a couple of good ones in mind, but I will try and re-install the card and leave the case open with a fan pointing at it to see if it fixes the problem. The strange thing is that the new graphics card ran really cool so the only way the on board one would be overheating is if it were still working after the installation somehow?
    With the new graphics card installed though, as I mentioned, the on board won't show up under the device manager (I don't know much about how to deactivate integrated graphics cards) after the installation so I can't find a way to deactivate it after the fact, and it won't show up on speed fan (which it usually does when a graphics card isn't installed). I could try uninstalling all the drivers and deactivating the integrated card before installing the new card (before I uninstalled all drivers except for the display driver -- oops) to see if it changes anything.
    I was also wondering, what drivers should I uninstall that aren't essential to my system?
    Nvidia away mode driver (I'm guessing I don't need that)
    nvidia Display driver
    nvicia Ethernet Driver components (have to keep that for internet)
    Nvidia HD audio driver
    Nvidia nforce sys management
    nvidia smu driver

Also I read somewhere that I should deactivate on board audio, but when I do, I lose all of my recording and audio devices that aren't HDMI out.
    Any further help is appreciated.

6. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

7. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

We noticed that the power supply's 12V rail(s) may not have enough power or something, I guess. Crappy piece of junk.

8. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

If your pc is shutting down with the card out it could be a temp issue.

I would download SpeedFan to check the temps.

I would also highly suggest a new PSU

9. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

You don't need to deactivate the onboard, it stops working as soon as you plug another card in. At least thats how it's always worked for me.
    The PSU is certainly underpowered, reading the pic it's got 300w probably runs at 75% like most do and Maxes out at 300w, maybe lower meaning you wont get 300w from it. The site Halo pointed you to is handy but is only a guide, it tells me I need a 405w but that would never run my system. It can't take variables of your specific hardware into account as Halo said.
    Also your 12v rail is weak, I think mine are both 20A, from what I can tell yours is a 14A and an 8A.

But as far as temps go if it's shutting down without your new card but is ok with a fan on it then it honestly sounds like heat issues.

With new card I would say PSU issue

Can you post the temps you can get?

I've seen CPU's do this before and usually easily fixed with a clean up and some new thermal paste $10.

One other thing now I think of it, did you uninstall your oboard graphic drivers BEFORE you installed new card?
    2 sets of drivers will conflict and cause issues, not usually shut downs though.
    You should ALWAYS uninstall old drivers even if you are simply updating the same hardware.

Uninstall
    Clean up
    Reboot
    Install.

Edit: Acording to AMD/ATI you need a minimum of 400w PSU for that card.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...s/ati-radeon-hd-4600-system-requirements.aspx

Your PSU specs.

http://www.xpcgear.com/spfsp30060th.html

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  10. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I agree. With the number of memory modules, hard drives and optical drives you have installed, that CPU, and the general age of the computer, I would guess that the power supply is struggling just at the limit of what it is capable of right now. The PSU really isn't a component to skimp on when you build a system, and they are cheap these days. I would suggest at least a 500W one, just to give you some margins.

11. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

When I had the graphics card installed it didn't go above 32 C. Maybe the power supply just needed to recover from it being overloaded. The on board graphics card used to go up to 200 (over 200 and it would shut down) when playing games, but it only had a heat sink on it, no fan. My new graphics card has a huge Zalman fan on it so it doesn't overheat.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125277

It is starting to look like it is the power supply, I needed an upgrade anyway so we purchased this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.329238 this morning (luckily it is part of the bundle). Hopefully that will fix the issue.

12. Mimsy

Well, it could still be a heat issue, after all, power supplies heat up too. ;)

OCZ makes good products, not a bad choice. Let us know if it fixes your problem!

13. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

+1 for OCZ

14. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

it's your psu, because i've got a his radeon hd4670 1 gig and it's box says 400 watt minimum (which i have).

15. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

Yeah, should have ignored the reviews. Even though others have been able to run this card off of a 300V, they probably didn't have the POS I have for a power supply. Oh well, I should get the new one any day now and hopefully it will fix the issue. The power supply probably overloaded and got hot and needed time to recover. Can't wait until it gets here!

16. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

Well, it was the power supply. I installed the new one and now the graphics card runs great. It hasn't gotten above 42C playing DDO or Sims 3 on max graphics but I haven't tested it out with a long gaming session. As long as it plays Hulu movies without slowing down to a crawl, I'm happy.
    Well, seems like it's all a success.

17. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Glad you got it working and I take it all went well with the install too :)

Just out of curiosity, which PSU did you end up going for?

18. Mimsy

Great! Glad you got it working. :)

19. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

Thanks!
    I bought this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

My boyfriend wanted to get the fancier version of this one because it glowed red, but I don't have a clear case or anything it would shine through! Anyway, it's working great, it's modular and came with tons of extra cables. I like extra cables!

20. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Good stuff, that PSU should see you right for a few years :)

21. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

Ok, now, everything is working fine, at least, everything that matters to me... but curiously, I tried out a game I don't really play, Runes of Magic, just to see how it would look on max settings and it ran for about 10 minutes and shut the PC off.
    That is weird, because I ran Dungeons and Dragons online on max graphics, ran SWGemu and watched hulu shows on 1920x1080p resolution on my 48in HD TV at the same time without a problem, ran Sims 3 om max graphics and it ran beautifully.... weird. The temperatures never went above 50 C (which it reached rarely)... I've even left my computer on running various programs for hours and it never heated up or shut down. I'm a bit baffled really. I wonder if Runes of Magic installed the updates incorrectly (it took forever and I had to restart the updates several times) and might have been a bit screwy or maybe I had some effects active that the graphics card couldn't handle? Then again, I would expect a BOD, or some sort of error instead of a complete and immediate shut down.
    It hasn't caused any trouble, but I am bothered by not knowing what caused it. I turned off most of the effects in the game, and got rid of shadows etc... and it still shut down my system.
    I was also wondering, I have an Nvidia motherboard, which was a bit confusing in regards to what drivers I needed to uninstall, but can I uninstall the nForce system management and the Nvidia SMU driver? I know I have to keep the Nvidia Ethernet driver components.
    Anyway, I'm going to test it out with other games I have.
    The power supply is the 550 OCZ I mentioned earlier and has been holding up fine. Could it be that there is something with the mother board? I don't think it's my CPU because my computer held up great, as I mentioned earlier, playing hulu (which always hogs up to 90 something percent) and SWGemu without a hiccup.
    Any suggestions?

PS
    If it matters, the computer used to do it before I installed the new card, but I always attributed it to having a crappy on board graphics card that tended to reach temperatures up to 202 F.

22. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

Additional info:

Well... I've noticed something funny. I attributed this up to the fact that the GPU never goes above 50, but I don't know at what temp it kicks in.... well anyway, the fan hasn't spun yet. At least, the sensors keep saying it's at 0%. Also, I checked on the CCC for ATI and I switched to manual control of the fan, put it up to max and it still didn't spin. I can't find the fan under the BIOS either. From what I was told, the fan isn't supposed to need it's own connector... or does it? Gah, I'm going to look in and see what's going on.

23. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

Bah, the fan is running fine...

24. Mimsy

Highly doubtful. Runes of Magic is not that demanding on low settings. Uninstall and reinstall... I remember it being a pain to install as well. The updater is screwy.

Try turning off AV and firewall when installing Runes of Magic, see if that helps.

25. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

Yeah, you're probably right. I tried Rappelz and it worked fine on max settings. Also, I am going to try Dragon Age Origins, which ran okay with my old graphics card, so if it can't handle it now, something's up. But I think it will work. I read that others had the same problem with RoM.
    Thanks for the help!

26. Mimsy

I never had that problem, but I had some other issues with it. (One of them being I didn't have fun playing it ;) )

27. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

Well, at least Dragon Age works beautifully without a hiccup on max graphics. Almost distracting, really!

28. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

Something strange is going on but it doesn't make much sense to me. I was playing SWGemu, which the card handled fine, but about an hour or so into it (after spending most of the time making a character) the computer shut down completely again. I'm going to do some tests to see if I can pinpoint the problem, but if anyone can give me some tips it would be nice.

29. Mimsy

How do you monitor temperatures? Sounds to me like something in there is still over-heating...

30. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

and 42
    Also, I usually have a fan pointed towards the vent.
    I just cleaned up some remaining parts of the Nvidia driver that lingered. Not even the driver sweeper would remove it in safe mode so I went in and manually deleted the folder (sweeper cleaned up the registry). I'm testing it out now to see what's up. I played Dragon Age Origin on max graphics for about half an hour to 45 minutes and Sims 3 and neither did what this game did. The bottom numbers have never gone over 48 degrees.
    Unless a sensor isn't being registered and I'm missing something, but there are so many temperatures on the list I would think everything is accounted for. Too bad it doesn't tell me which one is the GPU etc... at least the on board was labeled GPU in the list. I'm running the game right now. Let's see what happens.
    Also for some reason the sound will not play through the speakers, only HDMI out to TV. Odd. It never did that with the on board card, and no other game has this problem.

31. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

Oh my God. The sound... I had it muted for Star wars under the volume mixer HA! That's embarrassing!

32. m0u5y

m0u5y Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds