I was given an old TracPhone - now what?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jan 15, 2012.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I was recently given a TracPhone w/ the charger (made by Motorola, service by ATT) and it hasn't been used in at least 2 years, probably closer to 4 years. There's a sticker on the phone with the telephone number for the phone, but I have no idea if that number works. The 'status' on the phone says I have 4min of pre-paid time left. No- I haven't tried to call anyone, and no-one has tried to call me (yet) using the number on the sticker... I know less than NOTHING about cell phones, and even less about pre-paid TracPhones that have been passed down......
    Questions:
    1- how should I proceed?
    2- the time setting is WAY off (it's about 3.10pm local time and the phone says it's 12.01a) and I couldn't find a setting to change it, nor could I find anything relating to a calendar or date....
    3- do I need a new SIM card?
    4- uhhhh????? what should I do with this? is it worth the trouble to get it going? is it going to cost more time/trouble than it's worth?

Being a complete noob idiot when it comes to phones, ANY info will be appreciated!

THX!

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I use Tracfones, been using for several yrs, works great for me, cost me about $20 for 180 min of use, service is good for 90 days, air time and service time rolls over... no roming, national service

Time and Date on my phone, it sets it's self

Your phone probably need reactivated, plus purchase air time

here link for support http://www.tracfone.com/case_select_action.jsp

You can get a new tracfone and 60min air time for the price of an 60min air time $19.99

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdi...locale=en&siteType=TR&gotoPhonelist=true&AID=

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah - I'm a bit slow in getting around to a response rolleyes I spent the past 30-40min messing w/ the phone: when I call the number listed on the phone, I get someone else and the phone (obviously) doesn't ring; I tried dialing out and get nothing except a "check call restrictions -34" message; occasionally the message "Unregistered SIM" pops up. Using the support link provided by Asus above, I went thru the steps to re-activate the phone with a new different phone number and ended up with "There seems to be an issue with your Activation. Please contact our Customer Care Center at 1-800-XXX-XXXX". I haven't had the time to call them yet, but maybe I will later today or on Monday or something..... or maybe I'll just get a Cricket plan..... or maybe I'll do nothing.....

(if it matters or if anyone is interested, the phone is a basic W175G from Motorola)

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

After poking around at the 2nd link provided by Asus, I think I'm going w/ a basic phone for $19.99... free shipping, includes a 60min air card, and the phone gets double minutes for life; this means that a 60min card is good for 120min. For 20 bucks, I can't miss. I am curious about the "90 days of uninterupted use" statement. Does that mean the phone dies completely after 90 days? or do I have to "renew" or "re-activate" it every 90 days? I figured once I bought the phone, I would simply buy air cards when needed, without needing to look at the calendar, and I'd just buy air cards for next few years or until the breaks or gets lost or something. The "90 days" has me a bit confused.
    :confused

5. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

We've used Tracfone for several years.

You have 120 minutes of air time and 90 days of service. If you use all 120 min before the 90 days is up, you have to buy another card (or buy time online at tracfone.com) to have more talk minutes. If you don't use all 120 min before 90 days is up, buy another card to extend your service time and the unused minutes will rollover and still be available to you.

Tracfone will probably send you a message on your phone when you are getting short on minutes and/or service days. Often there is a promo code so you can get a few additional minutes free with your renewal.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds