Windows 8 repeatedly crashing after upgrade from Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by doogly, Jan 8, 2013.

1. doogly

doogly Private E-2

I just recently upgraded a Dell XPS 210 (Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM) from Windows Vista Pro 32-bit to Windows 8 Pro (32-bit). I ran the compatibility check beforehand and it said everything would be fine. After getting Windows 8 installed however, the computer is continually crashing. Sometimes literally right after I log in, sometimes I can use it for an hour before it shuts down. Regardless it will eventually BSOD.

What concerns me is that every single time it does, it gives me a completely different error. Sometimes I recognize an error I've seen before, but there's absolutely no consistency in them (that I'm able to identify at least). I don't know how to read dump files, but I imagine they could hold the solution to this problem.

I ran Memtest86 to see if that was the problem, but everything passed. Can anyone gather any more information from the dump files? I've included them in a zip folder here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11458482/Minidump.zip

Any help would be extraordinarily appreciated. Thanks

2. longbowjg

longbowjg Private E-2

Hello Doogly

Sorry but have to ask the obvious questions but,

did you do a compatability test with microsoft? and did you pay for the upgrade from vista to windows 8 ?

and if so where from?

Just asking first

Longbowjg

3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It is better to do a Clean install, than a upgrade install, when moving up in OS's. As for the crashes, can you post some examples of the errors you are getting.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Did you even read the original post?

5. longbowjg

longbowjg Private E-2

of course I read the original thread.It has become knowledge that there have been illegal downlohads and people that have been duped. The reason for my text was to review which was the the truth. As you doubt my intentions i wish you good night.

6. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Second sentence in the original post user states they ran a compatibility check. :)

7. longbowjg

longbowjg Private E-2

I am sorry but as of late I have seen on various sites people have tried windows 8 but have then found if they have not partioned their computer they have had to re install there original OS as windows 8 is not compatible. I only asked about there compatibilty as some have done so and have uploaded the new system but have been toast.

I am sorry but it seems that my chose of words have been lacking. I am sorry for that. My intentions remain the same. That is the best for everyone.

8. doogly

doogly Private E-2

I purchased Windows 8 directly from Microsoft, Directly from their upgrade website. It was a download from their official servers. Nothing shady going on here.

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Wot brownizs said - do a clean install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds