Disabling Keyboard Shortcuts?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Texan, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Texan

Texan Private First Class

Hello all! I have been experiencing a problem and I can only conclude it is keyboard shortcuts that are causing the problem. Which is...

I often type on the following message board: www.libertynewsforum.com
    While I type here, which is often, I will here a buzz and the start menu will pop up and sometimes I here a buzz and right in the middle of my post, it starts navigating away from that site to one that is bookmarked!!!

I can only assume that I get to typing so fast I am hitting some combination of keys or the wrong ones. Two time now the site was accidentally added to my restricted sites list. I know that I am accidentally placing it there because it appears there well after I have successfully used the site after using Spybot or Spywareblaster.

Any ideas as to my guess is the problem? If so, can I disable keyboard shortcuts? Is there one that adds a current site to the IE restricted site list?

Thanks!

PS - This only happens in IE. Not Firefox. I use XP Home.

2. SGC_Geek

SGC_Geek Private First Class

Questions regarding your problem.

1. Would you consider the events to be isolated?

2. Would you consider the events persistent and occurs with regularity?

3. Texan

1. It has not occured with any other site, however, I post on that site the most. The site has it's own shortcuts. i.e. "shortcuts (IE and NS6 only): hit alt+s to send, alt+p to preview, or alt+r to reset"

2. It is about as persistant and regular as... oh lets say, accidentally hitting Caps Lock by accident, which led me to believe it was me accidentally hitting keyboard shortcuts by accident. (So it's occuring about every 10 posts.) The site has only been added to my restricted sites twice.

4. SGC_Geek

Is it the same bookmarked website every time?

5. Texan

I think I understand your question.
    I do have it bookmarked but I usually just use my URL drop down to navigate there. I do keep a login cookie though. And it is always this particular site, www.libertynewsforum.com

6. SGC_Geek

These are some shortcuts normal in IE. I don't know of any way to disable them.

Open a new window. CTRL+N
    Close the current window. CTRL+W
    Save the current page. CTRL+S
    Print the current page or active frame. CTRL+P
    Activate a selected link. ENTER
    Open the Search bar. CTRL+E
    Open the Favorites bar. CTRL+I
    Open the History bar. CTRL+H
    In the History or Favorites bars, open multiple folders. CTRL+click

7. Texan

Thanks for your help. I'll save these shortcuts. Maybe I sometimes accidentally mash on the CTRL button while I hold down shift to capitalize a word.
    I will slow down my typing but........

I wonder how I could ever accidentally add a site to IE's restricted sites :confused:

Maybe some malicious program is installed that got past Zone Alarm, Norton and wasn't found by AdAware or Spybot and such couldn't find.

Thanks again for your help.

If anyone else thinks of a possible alternative suggestion, I would appreciate any help!

8. SGC_Geek

9. Texan

I will recheck everything again. Nothing came up the first time, however, I have never submitted a HiJack this log before. It will be exciting!

Recently I made the mistake of downloading WehnTrust 0.9.4 http://www.wehnus.com/
    It completely screwed up my computer. I had to do a XP disc repair and my computer hasn't been the same. Beware of that program!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds