"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file."

Discussion in 'Software' started by SammoSammy, Sep 19, 2008.

1. SammoSammy

SammoSammy Private E-2

You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Ok, on Windows XP. Ive got an exe that is a Maplestory Test Server. I have used it before, but then I removed it due to some problems with the server. I later redownloaded. Then the server updated, so I (stupidly) deleted the test server. Then, the new one didnt work yet, so it reverted back to 59. There were 2 V59 Servers. At one point one worked, then It stopped working so I used the other one. Yes, the test server randomly brang up the Windows cannot access error.

When it went to 60, I deleted both. My friend who also plays gave me V59 (it was taken off the site) but he gave me the one that brings up Windows Cannot Access error. He doesnt have the other one, so I cant play. As far as I know all other exe work.

I tried changing the name in safe mode, no go. I also used some exefix thing. Cant remember but it was "#12" on some website.

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Sounds like registry issues, you deleted, didn't uninstall. Try CCleaner for starters, it has a basic registry scanner and cleaner, if that does not work there are a few (LOL) others. After running CCleaner try a reinstall. Good cleaners have a backup option, if the results are less than favorable you have a backup to restore the registry.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Toolbar_d4191.html

After cleaning try a reinstall, I also run NTREGOPT after a registry clean.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/NTREGOPT_d4824.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds