Downloading Torrents with Azureus

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wandaful, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Wandaful

Wandaful Private E-2

I have JUST started doing this but everything so far (not much) I have download seems so slow.............. Between 10-20kb

I am on a fast wireless connection.......... So is there some way I can crank Azureus up???......... or is this normal???

Cheers

2. DutchMarco

DutchMarco Corporal

download speed depends on how many seeders there are available, and if you have a green smilie..
    always look for files with the most seeders!!

3. ismart

ismart Private E-2

how much u upload??

4. crystak

crystak Private E-2

I also have a wireless connection and it's all going fine (downloaded some at 30kbps and others at 500kbps). It all depends on how many seeds and peers there are. Ideally, you should look for a torrent with more seeds than peers which is more healty.

5. kevinf80

kevinf80 Private E-2

Hi there,

As with all programs you have to set Azureus up to get the best from it. All the information you need is in Azureuswiki, I`m sure there is a link across from the Azureus program. In azureus > tools > options > connections > then left click on good port settings to get this set correctly. In azureus again > tools > options > transfer > then left click good speed settings. You should see an improvement when you set these up, but as the other guy said the number of seeders is crucial.

Kevin

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

More then likely your router isn't port forwarding the correct ports, did you setup port forwarding when you started torrenting?

7. Wandaful

Wandaful Private E-2

Hey thanks everyone for your replies and sorry I took so long to get back to you..

Firstly... I don't remember setting up any Port Forward thingie
    Secondly... I have only ever got a yellow smilie not a green one...
    Thirdly... I will try the tools/options thingie you mentioned...

Thanks once again...

oh one more thing
    When it says
    Seeds 5(14) Peers 4(112)... what does this mean???... What are the brackets???

Cheers and THANK YOU..... :wave

8. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

''

Here is an easy tutorial for configuring your ports for Azureus - Link

And here is a link for information on setting up your router to forward ports. Just select your brand/model number and follow the directions. - Link

5(14) means there are 14 people seeding the file you are downloading and you are currently connected to five of them. Same thing for the Peers. There are currently 112 people sending bits and pieces back and forth and you are connected to four of them.

9. Wandaful

Wandaful Private E-2

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I love you

Thanks for that... :hyper

10. kronus

kronus Private E-2

If your still having problems then i would suggest enabling encryption, Some ISP's will throttle your download/upload speed when they detect a bittorrent client being used, I think Azereus does encryption, if not then your best bet is uTorrent.

11. Wandaful

Wandaful Private E-2

I have just been reading back over this (been too busy to do anything about it until now) and realise that I don't have a router

I have an Ethernet Card but not a router...
    Does this make any difference???

I am lost :cry

Cheers

12. Fuzz

Fuzz Private First Class

OMG...Thy insanity

13. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

It makes a difference, but only in the fact that you don't have to go configure all your ports. :) Your Ethernet card is hooked up directly to your high speed modem, so you don't have a router blocking any traffic. Try enabling encryption as kronus said, and make sure you look for torrents with plenty of seeders and peers. The more people you can connect to, the better your speeds will be. Also make sure your upload speed is set to about 80% of your allotted upload speed from your ISP. A good upload rate will boost your download rate.

14. Wandaful

Wandaful Private E-2

OK... I keep reading about enabling encryption and the 80% thingie but not sure where to do this.. In Azareus??? I have run through the wizard on there, but everytime I check the port, it comes up with a NAT error and when I read up on that, I don't understand diddly squat about it...:cry

My wireless connection is 512/128

Sorry to be such a nong... and I'm not even blonde..!!! :p

Cheers

15. toolio20

toolio20 Private E-2

Man, here's my two cents. I hope my grammar, spelling, punctuation and the obvious time I'm about to invest in writing this reply will add some weight to what I say.

I up and download torrents daily. And the EASIEST tool I've found so far to use is Utorrent. Everyone has a favorite, but if this Azrael or whatever the **** you're running isn't measuring up in terms of usability, I suggest you uninstall and try Utorrent. But the protocol really won't mean squat if you are one of the unfortunate few using an ISP that puts you behind a NAT router, which sounds possible based on what you've said. The easiest way to figure out if that is the case is to simply call your ISP. Or google it some and research - your call. Anyway, if it turns out you are behind NAT, well, you're kinda SOL...

For now, let's go ahead and assume that you're not FITG and move forward. Go to dslreports.com and run the speed test (I recommend you run this a few times during the part of the day where MOST of your dl'ing is going to transpire!), get a good reading, write it down, then run the tweak test. Depending on the results, most of the time you'll want to dl the DRTCP program and make changes. All that info is on the site. Anyway, now you're ready to adjust your settings like these other fine folks have encouraged you to do. Remember, UPLOAD speed is the important variable, not download, even though that sounds screwy at face value. I have no clue where to do that in Azurelious, but there are FAQ links in this very post you can follow.

I hope this helps some, and more importantly, helps motivate you to find out if you're behind a NAT router. This is of paramount importance, dood. You should also let everyone know EXACTLY what configuration and WIRELESS HARDWARE you're using. ALL of it, modem, hub/switch/router, wireless card/NIC/etc. Git to it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds