font size messed up after Win Update

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrammawNewbie, Dec 17, 2007.

1. GrammawNewbie

GrammawNewbie Private E-2

Saturday I innocently did some Windows Updates on my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop running XP and IE6 (I don't want 7), mostly only the Critical ones, and when I rebooted the computer display was out of whack, esp as regards font size and ability to connect to my Yahoo DSL. The desktop icons were not where I keep them and my large fonts were like 4 or 6 points (ugh).

I can get on internet some but only when some mojo works, have no idea why for example, the ergonomic Keyboard still shows the correct settings for the pages I want but it won't necessarily take me there -- this could, however, be a yahoo mail glitch and unrelated to the other stuff.

I tried Searching this forum and trying a few things I found, but nothing so far has worked, including the obvious things like resetting Options to Large and scrolling plus CTRL. The dpi is still my usual 1280x768.

The thing that BURNS me, and it's happened before but I can't find my notes as to how I fixed it last time, is that it will NOT allow me to find a System Restore point before Dec 15th. As if I'd never done any.

One thing I did change was: Driver update for ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO TURBO. And the ODD thing is, when I went to Windows Update to see what I had updated, the fonts there were plenty large. Windows hates me.

Any ideas of what obvious thing I'm overlooking or what to do? What more info do I need to tell you to help me sort this out? Sorry to bother you with something probably simple dumb@$$ but I am frustrated.

Thanks.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It sounds to me like the ATI driver you installed went haywire. Maybe try downloading the newest driver for your video chipset from ATI (link: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/mobility-xp). Then uninstall your current driver and install the new one. No guarantees here, but that's what I would do if I were in your large-fonted shoes ;)

3. GrammawNewbie

GrammawNewbie Private E-2

Thank you. I did go back per your suggestion, but went to Dell instead b/c had trouble navigating the ATI site, and installed a 2005-era driver. At least my desktop fonts look better. Everything is still kind of out of whack in terms of placement but fonts are bigger.

It still refuses to acknowledge restore points before last Saturday. I think some evil intergalactic entity has put a vise on time slippage and ... and ... oops, been reading too many X-men comics lately.

Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds