How to remove traces of deleted files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by vh102, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vh102

vh102 Private E-2

I am trying to remove the file names of deleted files that show up after running a data recovery/unerase program. I have tried Z-delete, but the file names still show up. Can anyone recommend a program to wipe the file names or to completely remove deleted files?

Thanks

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I'm not sure I understand: you ran a data recovery program, I'm assuming to recover something you deleted accidentally. So the file(s) has been recovered and you now have leftover files that you cannot delete. Are these leftover files the ones you recovered? Or are they files created in the recovery process, or files created by the recovery software itself??

BTW- Welcome to Major Geeks :major

3. vh102

vh102 Private E-2

I ran a data recovery program to see what deleted files were still in my system. When I did, I received a long list of files with the original file names. I did not restore any files - I want to make sure that no one else can restore these or even read the file names of previously deleted files.

Thanks
    vh102

4. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

well unless your planning to sell your computer or have family members with expertise on how to restore deleted files then theres really nothing to worry about

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would try defragging the HD then copying a very large file(biggest you have such as a movie) multiple times to you HD to overwrite most or all of the free space. Then delete the copies of the file and defrag again. There shouldn't be much for a recovery program to find. As far as I know the recovery program's list of deleted files is generated from fragments left on the HD, so no fragments no list.

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Check the drive cleaners section here at Major Geeks. There's one called DP Wipe that will securely delete files, but I don't think it will wipe remnants of files already deleted. You may have to recover the files first, then wipe 'em with DP Wipe....

7. van stewart

van stewart Private E-2

there is a free program which is called Restoration 2514 (just type this in your search space and you will see several places to download this free program). this program will show you everything that has been deleted and is still on your computer (even places you have visited and don't want any one to see). you will have a chance to delete these files forever from your computer. hope this helps. van

8. For future reference, Spybot Search & Destroy has a secure shredder in the advanced options. This is pretty good for getting rid of things that don't want to go away. Drag the files into it and away they go.

9. frankjc

frankjc Private E-2

Speaking of this, how do you restore deleted files? Or look at temporary internet files? I have always been curious, but could never figure out how.

10. Meekiecheese

Meekiecheese Private First Class

Yes, I'd like to know about this too (how to actually "see" the actual content of an IE Temporary Internet files). Thanks!

11. rah1397

rah1397 Private E-2

Some of the other posters seem to be missing the point I'll try to clear it up a little. What you are trying to do is make sure the file names are gone for ever and un-retrievable. Regardless of the fact that the data in the file may or may not be gone you want some or all of the file names unreadable without having to reformat the hard drive.

For example I do private investigating and consulting for businesses and it is of utmost importance to many of them that nothing I do can be traced back to them. For a time I used to use their name as part of the file name. When I would delete the file and clean the system so the data could no longer be recovered using one of the many clean sweeping software programs which will make the data gone forever, the file name could still be recovered using any second rate file recovering software. I have played around with this and so far I have yet to find a software program that will eliminate the file names permanently. I have even been able to on one occasion retrieve the file names after reformatting a drive. So the only way I can be sure the file names are gone for ever is to remove the hard drive, drill a few holes in it, beat it with a hammer until I am sure it is beyond repair.

If anyone has a way to get rid of the file names other then that I would like to know...... and remember the data in the file is already gone forever the remaining file name is the problem

thanks

12. Meekiecheese

Meekiecheese Private First Class

Thank you rah1397, that was very helpful. Thanks again! :)

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I personally like DiskRedactor.
    Scrubs and overwrites only the free space on your drive, leaving all else alone.

14. Twin9

Twin9 Private E-2

I know of someone that was given a laptop as a gift from someone that bought it used from someone else. The original person "thought" he deleted everything--but that was far from the case. He would be humiliated if he knew what had been found. Anyways, it made me think about thoroughly deleting my own files, especially after burning private info to a disc rendering duplicate info on my computer unnecessary. I don't want that private data ever read in case the laptop is stolen or someone hacks into it etc. Besides drilling holes in the harddrive, how effective is the ERASER application? I hear of people doing what is called zero-ing out their deleted files. How is that done? Is that what ERASER does? Lastly, would intense exposure of the harddrive by magnets work? Probably a dumb question, but I just want to know what can be done so that even an evil genius can't uncover my deleted files should my laptop ever be stolen.

--Twin9

15. TSRh

TSRh Private E-2

Hello, All!
    There is a one of a kind program called Directory Snoop. It can alter MFT records and purge deleted file names from it. BUT, it is a bit risky to play with MFT. After using this program and rebooting Windows, sometimes it could run CHKDSK to reintegrate file table. So, be careful!

16. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Take a look at the date of the last post before yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds