DLink Router is Slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dboiler, Jul 6, 2010.

1. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

My son in law has two laptops running XP Pro and MAC and both have the same issue. The Internet company modem is a RCA DHG 534 modem and his router is a DLink DIR 615. If he plugs the laptop directly into the modem, the speed is good, 8 or 9 Mbits but when he puts the router in, plugging it to the modem and using the wireless, the speed is 1 Mbit. He even went out and bought a new Router and had the cable company change the modem. Problem persists. I'm thinking there must be some setting in the router causing this.

He's already checked the MTU (1500) and that doesn't help.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

The DIR 615 is a wireless "N" router (802.11N). Do you know what the wireless controllers in the various computers are? If they are all Wireless "G", I would suggest trying to set the router to "G" only and see what happens.

To my knowledge, the 802.11N specification is still in draft which means there is a possibility that "N" devices from different manufacturers may not play well together. If you have for example an older "N" controller from Linksys in one of the machines, it may not communicate well with the D-Link router because of differences in the specific technologies. Because the specification is not universal yet, even older D-Link wireless "N" devices may not work well with a newer D-Link "N" router. They all claim their equipment is rearward compatible and technically speaking, it probably is, but the translation needed for that compatibility can cause some very slow connections just as it did in the dialup days between the X2 and Flex technologies. X2 to X2 was faster (56k+) and more stable then Flex to Flex (usually around 48-50k) but when you connected Flex to X2 you were lucky to get a 32k connection because of the compatibility translation.

3. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

I called my son in law with your info. It does make sense however he tells me that the issue isn't just when going wireless. When he's hard wired to the router from his laptop, the problem persists.

Dave

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

It could possibly be a compatibility problem between the Modem and the Router although I would think that unlikely.

I'll do some research on the DIR 615 and see if it has any known issues. It may be tomorrow before I get back to you.

If anyone else has any ideas, jump right in.

5. dboiler

dboiler Private E-2

Thanks for looking into this with me. I'm still thinking its some sort of router config issue. He's tried both a DLink and a Linksys router and has had the cable company swap out the modem, I think with a different manufacturer. He and my daughter just moved to this area in Northern Indiana. They had no problems with their router and laptops before they moved.

Dave

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I haven't found anything so far that would explain the problems he's having. Just for something to try, he could disable QoS in the router and see if it makes a difference. QoS can sometimes cause problems because it tries to even out the bandwidth between the connected computers. Perhaps it's over compensating.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds