Mouse and keyboard don't work in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by kjhansen56, Mar 1, 2015.

1. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

Dell computer running Win7. Boots into Win7 no problem, but no mouse or keyboard (both known good). Boots with F12 into BIOS and keyboard and mouse respond. Boots with an XP boot disk into XP and mouse and keyboard work. So... I think it must be a Windows 7 driver problem. Can't do a destructive reload of Win 7 because the hard drive has critical financial data on it. Last known good configuration didn't work. What next?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Pull the hard drive and grab the files you need off of the drive.

Are the mouse and keyboard connected by USB? I've seen lots of posts about Dell computers with non-functioning keyboards, mice or both and rarely is a solution found.

3. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

USB, yes. Four on front, four on back, all tried, no change. Not encouraging.

4. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

Will PS2 keyboards and mice use different drivers?

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes.

What exactly happened? Did both mouse and keyboard just stop working?

Also, are your other USB devices working?

6. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

Yes, both quit working. They are both remote units. As noted in the first post of this thread, we tried two other keyboards (with cords, but also USB), and they didn't work either. All of them work when in BIOS or from an old XP boot disk we had laying around. I was thinking I'd try the old PS2 keyboard and mouse. Altho I was reading another thread with the same problem and the PS2 fix didn't work for them. I might give it a try anyway. Now, however, I'm not in the same building anymore, so it might have to wait.

7. Eldon

With 'other USB devices' I meant devices like flash drives and MP3 players. Open Device Manager and look if there's any yellow warning(s) - exclamation or question mark(s).

8. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

Can't open device manager because we can't get beyond the password since the keyboard doesn't work at that point.

9. Eldon

Oh my, I didn't think of that. Have you tried another USB device? Not a keyboard or mouse. At this point I'm guesstimating it's a USB problem.

10. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

Since the mouse and keyboard both work fine in every environment except Win7, my guess is a windows driver, but I'm not an IT tech.

11. Eldon

Have you tried a PS2 keyboard or mouse?
    Just because it didn't work for other users doesn't mean you can't at least try.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  12. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

I'm going to try that this morning. If it fails, I might just remove the drive and slave it to my laptop and see if I can't pull the data files.

13. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

OK, I am typing this on the broken computer. The PS2 mouse and keyboard work on it. However, none of the USB ports will work with a USB flash drive that I know is good. So the computer isn't fixed, I've just bypassed the non-functioning USB ports. The drama continues.

14. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

15. Eldon

Good.
    Now we know it's the USB ports. It's hopefully a driver(s) issue, and not a motherboard issue. Open Device Manager. Do you see yellow triangles or question marks next to the USB devices? Uninstall all of them (as mentioned by foogoo) and restart the PC.

16. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

I tried uninstalling the USB devices in device manager and then rebooting. I got the same problem and message: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device.

17. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

I talked to a local PC repair shop and they told me the problem is probably in the filters (?) in Win 7. They can fix, but not cheap. So, anybody know how to fix this without reinstalling Win 7? I'd rather not have to reinstall the software that's on the computer, as I don't have the CDs and would have to wait an unacceptable amount of time to get them....

18. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

19. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

Yes, I tried removing the USB ports in Device Manager and rebooting. Didn't work. Can't remotely edit the registry either, or install a parallel computer etc. The computer security is such that it can't be remotely accessed. In any case, I'm not entirely comfortable editing the registry, nor do I have a copy of Win7 to install in a new folder. I'm going to have to depend on a computer tech to do his stuff on this computer. I've exhausted my resources. I appreciate all the help.

20. Eldon

Using Windows 7.
    This morning, while installing drivers for a USB printer, the mouse stopped responding. None of the 6 USB ports where working. A Bluetooth transceiver and 2 memory sticks aren't recognised.
    I restarted, restarted again and selected the Windows XP partition, restarted and reset the BIOS - Nothing. Restarted with a bootable Ubuntu CD, still no response from the mouse. I removed the CMOS battery and check the voltage - 3.2V. Cleaned the inside of the tower case and re-fitted the battery after 30 minutes - everything is back to normal.

While I can't explain this, it's worth a try and will cost you nothing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds