OCR program that doesn't eat pdf bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jasontaylor, Mar 4, 2015.

1. jasontaylor

jasontaylor Private E-2

Seems my original post was deleted when it got moved. The short version of my questions are:

1. Are there any programs that do ocr on pdf files without deleting the bookmarks besides adobe acrobat?

2. Adobe acrobat's ocr program first de-skews. But that is all. My scanner is not working correctly, so I am using my camera these days. If I take a photo of a sheet of paper, it is actually a rounded trapezoid, with a bright center and dim corners. What programs can do smart batch image de-warping (with or without ocr)?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. jasontaylor

jasontaylor Private E-2

Eldon is there any reason that XnView might do what I'm looking for, which is to automatically flatten and fix arbitrary pictures of paper docs? I can manipulate stuff by hand using irfanview, but that isn't what I want to do.

"..give PaperScan Free a try."

Not unless you reveal a reason to suspect that it has the feature I'm looking for.

Cost isn't an issue. The problem with adobe is that I really hate the company.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. jasontaylor

jasontaylor Private E-2

Yes and no. No literally, but if anyone posts in this thread without having a clue if the program they want to pimp to me does the task I'm and anyone else reading this thread in the future is seeking, please please avoid posting.

My original post (deleted by a mod) explained that yes I can download a ton of trials but I'm looking for specific and rare features. If you already know of something that does what I'm looking for great. You've knowledge I don't. That is what a forum is for: sharing of knowledge. The knowledge I'm seeking is definitely not that I can download all the trials of all the ocr and image software, which is over 1000 programs. I knew that already. My original post explained I don't have infinite hard disk space and fully uninstalling these beasts isn't always trivial. That is why I'm asking the community to see if anyone else has already been through this effort. No, I don't expect you to download 1000 programs and run them. That is insane. Please avoid posting in this thread. That is my main request to you.

P.S. My original post explained that ABBYY does not do what I'm looking to do. It eats bookmarks of pdfs that have not been ocred and treats each page as an image, spitting out an image-based new pdf without anything else in the new pdf.

6. jasontaylor

jasontaylor Private E-2

If I had said nothing, as you suggest, then a person reading the thread who happens to know of a program that does what I'm looking for would be discouraged from posting, since someone else apparently gave the answers I was looking for. I had to indicate to such people that no, those programs don't do the job and their input would be appreciated. People don't answer questions that have already been answered since it is disrespectful to those who answered them first.

Also, if worthless answers are rewarded using an illusion of gratitude you suggest, it would bring down the quality of the forum overall, which will become polluted with less useful answers and comments. Readership will continue to go down. (I think it peaked in 2011.)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  7. jasontaylor

jasontaylor Private E-2

Except that I didn't delete my original content, a mod like yourself or your friend Eldon did. Therefore you guys should share some responsiblity for that accident. It is even possible they he had seen the original post.

8. jasontaylor

jasontaylor Private E-2

If in understand correctly, this implies that on this FAQ page, http://forums.majorgeeks.com/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=moderators&match=all&titlesonly=0 , there must be a sentence that says moderators have a tagline that indicates they are a moderator. I looked and did not see such a sentence. Could you be so kind as to explain which sentence it is?

Regarding the whole issue, you are basically saying that I needed to explain that X (e.g., abbyy) is a false answer in my OP when in fact X is false regardless of my saying that. In that case the OP would be 10 pages long, since I would need to list all programs I've tried that don't do the job. It is not my job to tell potential posters they are wrong before they have posted. Rather, it is their job to realize that posting crap hurts the board. You have every right to disagree with this, but it is my logical opinion which I also have a right to.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds