Web pages load EXTREMELY slowly or NOT AT ALL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geekinprogress, Mar 23, 2010.

1. geekinprogress

geekinprogress Private E-2

Hello,

I've browsed the forums, but haven't found the cause yet for my issue, so I'm asking for help.

Here are the basics:
    Win XP Home Edition, Version 2002, SP3
    Intel Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM
    Motorola SB5120 Cable Modem
    Netgear WNR2000 Router
    ZoneAlarm Firewall
    AVG
    Malwarebytes
    Spybot S & D (no tea-timer)
    CCleaner (with default settings only)

Browsers:
    Mainly IE8, but I also have this issue in Google Chrome

What I've tried:
    • Unplugging modem & router for a minute, plugging the modem back in, waiting until all the lights are solid, then plugging the router back in, waiting until all the lights are solid, then opening my internet browser. Note: I've tried this with the computer both on and off.
    • Bypassing my router and plugging my ethernet directly into my cable modem.
    • Resetting my IE8 settings to default.
    • Disabling my firewall (ZoneAlarm).
    • Scanning with AVG (full system scan).
    • Scanning with Malwarebytes (full system scan).
    • Scanning with Spybot.
    • Running CCleaner.
    • Verified with devmgmt.msc that all my computer's hardware is functioning properly.
    • Verified with my ISP that I am not losing any packets and that my cable modem is functioning correctly.
    • Verified in Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are checked.
    • Run ipconfig /renew with no issue.
    • Run ping of IP address and Default Gateway with no loss.
    • "Repaired" my Local Area Connection (via right click > Repair)

According to www.speedtest.net, my download speed is 14.06 Mb/s, and upload speed is 2.27 Mb/s. This seems about on par with normal.

I know it sucks, but according to the windows task manager, my Network Utilization peaks at about 0.02%. rolleyes

Note: I am unable to connect to the update server for ANY program, including antivirus, spyware, firewall, etc.

Please help! I'm running out of ideas, aside from buying new cables.

Thanks!

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. geekinprogress

geekinprogress Private E-2

Turns out it was a simple fix. AVG was corrupted somehow. A quick uninstall & reinstall got things back to normal.

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds