Removing old sound files after installing new sound card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redryder, Nov 29, 2008.

1. redryder

redryder Private First Class

I just installed a new sound card in the same slot where the old one was and everything seems to be great, but am wondering how do I uninstall the files from the old sound card? Should I try or just leave them alone?
    Thanks in advance.
    Red

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

for right now if everything is working fine leave it. you can run ccleaner to assist in removing old registry file.

3. redryder

Well, my mistake finally caught up with me. After a couple of weeks, trouble free, today.my old sound card files that I didn't uninstall before installing a new one starting messing up. My jukebox won't play and I noticed that the old icon is in my tray. Could someone tell me how to uninstall the old files and whatever I need to uninstall? Please make it as simple as possible. I realize that I should have been more careful. I didn't take the time that I should have, but now, I need help. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    Red

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

http://majorgeeks.com/download3233.html

read over this program it sounds like what you may need to get rid of those old files. I'm not sure this is why your juke box isn't playing, but try the program in the link then post back and let us know what the results were.

5. redryder

I downloaded "Nasty File Remover" and ran it. Everything on the list has 'Creative" in it which to me means that these go with my new sound card,"Soundblaster Audity'. The only other entry is "Ncidia Compatible Windows 2000 Display Driver, Version 56.73". I didn't find any files pertaining to Realtec, which is my old sound card that I removed. At the direction of Creative Site, I used the Control Panel "Uninstall" feature. It looked like it was doing its job, removing the drivers. Now, about my jukeboxes. Windows Media and Music Match just doesn't get sound. The track moves along as if playing but no sound.I double clicked the older icon in my tray and the chart that comes up says "Soundblaster Audity" and so does the new icon. I've looked through my computer and can't find anything concerning Realtec. Do you suppose that there is something in the registry? I don't like to go in the registry I may need to check it out. Any ideas? Sure hope so. BTW, there was a player that came with the Soundblaster and it works great.
    Thanks again,
    Red

6. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

ccleaner
    you can run ccleaner, this program can check the registry files, there is a feature in ccleaner that will let you back up the registry before any changes are made so you can go back if it removed files you needed.

Can you get into your device manager and see if there are any driver conflicts

click start>settings>control panel>system>hardware>device manager once there look down the list and see if you have and yellow markings if so post back

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  7. redryder

I went into Device Manager and yes, there is an entry called "Other Devices" and under that is "Multimedia Audio Controller". Please tell me that deleting these will make everything OK.:) Thanks,
    Red

8. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

find the device> right click>come down to properties> delete driver, restart the computer, when the computer restarts windows. since you say that hardware was removed by you, once you restart your machine everything should work properly, test your juke box and see what happens.
    If that hardware has not been removed and is still in your computer windows will detect that there is new hard ware and it will ask you if you want to install the drivers, click yes. After it installs open your juke box and see if music will work.

9. redryder

I followed your directions. When I rebooted, the message came up about finding new hardware and would search for it. It could not find the drivers on my installation disc so it searched the net. It still couldn't find the drivers, so I have no sound,not even on the player that came with the Sound Blaster Audigy.
    Any ideas what I should try next? Thanks,
    Red

10. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

what is the name of your sound card and model? what is your operating system? what is the make and model of your pc?

11. redryder

My sound card is Sound Blaster. Model Audigy SE. I run Windows XP SP2. My PC is Emachine, Model #T4010. The card that I uninstalled was a Realtek. I still get the message about finding new installation and wanting to look for drivers when I boot up. I have also noticed a little message pointed at the old sound icon in my tray saying that there is a problem and my installation might not work. Both icons say "Sound Blaster" when I open them, but the gray one was there with my old sound card. I believe that the two are in conflict, but don't know what to do about it. I can't seem to remove the old one. Hope this helps and hope we can fix it. Thanks for your patience and time.
    Red

12. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

soundblaster audigy se

This page will take you to the driver for your sound card.

If you removed your Realtek sound card then windows cannot be detecting it. Windows should only be detecting the sound blaster.

13. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Can you take a screen shot of this old icon , I dont think it is pointing to your old sound card since it was removed

14. redryder

I downloaded the drivers for my sound card, but it still doesn't work. I still get the message at boot-up that it will look for drivers. When I installed the drivers,it noted that they would be installed in C:\ so I tried to get it to search c drive,even put the entire path in the box, but it won't search this drive. In my sound blaster, I did a trouble shooting scan. The only information that I understand is that it says to reinstall, so should I just uninstall Sound Blaster Card from my computer? If so,could you tell me step by step how to make sure that I uninstall ALL of the things that need to uninstall. I want to make sure that I get it all out before I reinstall the card. Would it help if I install the card in another slot? Thanks again.

15. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Question i just thought of ,
    1. when you installed the card was there a software disk that came with the card.

2.when windows ask you to install the software can you point to where you either have the drivers on the cd or where you downloaded them into a folder.

3. What happened when you installed the drivers from the link?

Uninstalling the card isn't going to make much difference if your computer will not point to the path of the software

16. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

1.When you got the emachine, did a driver disk come with it?

2. Do you still have the realtk card that you removed a few weeks ago?

17. redryder

When I first installed the sound card, it worked fine but leaving the old information from previous card has conflicted with the new. I don't remember where the drivers were installed. I downloaded the drive that you suggested and noticed that the path was C:\,so I know that it was in the C drive. when I rebooted the message came up that new device was found and It would try to find drivers. It failed. It checked the net, Failed. In Advance,I typed the path and it still could not find the drive. Everytime that I boot up I get the same message, but I still have no sound. In System Device, Multimedia Audio Controler is yellow. I doubled clicked this and it searched again. Failed again. I read where others are having problems with

18. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi redryder. You have already downloaded the driver compilation. To install a compilation you must double-click the filename to cause it to execute and install it's own driver library.
    After it's finished, the compilation program may require a re-boot. I usually do a re-boot even if not requested, as this validates the registry entries and hardware associations for Windows.

19. redryder

Yes, When I installed the drives, I doubled clicked and the whole process seemed to go fine until I rebooted and it found new device and needed to check for drivers.This failed and it has been the same since.
    Yes, E-machine came with the drivers installed, No Disc. I've been using my juke boxes for several years with no problems. And, yes I have the Realtek sound card. I'm wondering if I were to run my computer back to before installation of Sound Blaster and then do a complete reinstall, do you think this might work? I'd have to do a lot of up dating to do though.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  20. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Ok Prometheos, you've read this entire thread have I miss anything, or does he have a software issue.

Redryder, the problem seems to be your windows installer is not pointing to the drivers you have down loaded, you mentioned that you typed in the path of the new drivers when windows was looking for them. you also mentioned that you do not have the driver cd that came with the hardware or you don't remember where the drivers came from. When you purchase new hardware the drivers have to come with it or it will not work, since it was working partially you had to have drivers from somewhere. Windows has a stored library of some of the major drivers but you should have gotten a disk in order to make it work. The task at hand is to get windows to point to these drivers so your sound and card will work with your emachine whether windows has them or you have them on your computer.
    down load the drivers again you pick the place they will be saved, once they are saved double click on the folder there will either be a exe file or zip . once they are initiated they should create their own folder, place that folder in a place that is obvious to you and also copy it to a flash or external drive. reboot your computer and when windows opens to install new hard ware. manually browse the location where you have placed that software.(see image) when you find it then click install. if you browse it manually and windows acknowledges it in the location area there is no reason why it cannot install unless there is a software issue with your emachine and not a hard ware problem.
    the other option is put the old hardware back in and see if windows will install the drivers for that and see if the sound comes back then. If not then there may be other issues. Hopefully we will not have to cross that bridge. browse.JPG

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds