My Documents - how to assign to D drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by gnort, Sep 22, 2009.

1. gnort

gnort Private E-2

A few months ago my Windows XP system was running slow so I moved "My Documents" to the D Drive by right clicking on "my Documents" and then clicking on properties and then on "move" where I specified a file I created on the D Drive called "My Documents on D". Everything worked perfect.

However, to speed up my PC I upgraded the processor, ram etc and had Windows XP re-installed. When I got the computer back "My Documents" now defaults to the "C" drive. How do I point it to the folder on the D Drive which I called "My Documents on D". I have tried right clicking on "my Documents" and then clicking on properties and then on "find target" but can't seem to get it to work. Someone suggested that I create a new file on the D drive (call it "new D My documents") and then follow the same procedure as above and move the brand new "c\my documents" to the "D\new D my documents". Then copy the files from the original "my documents on D" to the new one just created called "new D My Documents". If I do this what do I do with the desktop.ini files as there are desktop.ini files in each. Or is there an easier way? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

When moving any of the special folders, such as My Documents, there is no need to create a target folder first. It's simply Properties > Move > new location.

In your case you should -

- copy the contents of the folder on D to the new one on C

- rename the folder on D to avoid confusion

- move the folder on C to D

- Once satisfied everything is OK, delete the renamed folder on D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds