Error code?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Den, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Den

Den Private First Class

This is in reference to a Hewlett Packard 510W pc celeron 1.1 gig.128 meg ram. When starting the pc all I get is a blue screen with this.
    Stop: 0x000000074 (0x00000003,0x00000002,ox8008700,0xc00004c)
    Can't get to bios, safe mode,last known good config. nothing but this error. Also only thing I can find about the os is that it says microsoft windows whistler personal. I have checked hp, ms support sites and google with no luck. This was bought used by someone else and I can see that a card has been removed though I have no way of knowing what it was. That's the only obvious thing I can see. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks
    Den

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, since you can't boot, there are a few options to try.....

Boot into recovery mode and run:

chkdsk /r c:

Or, just try a repair installation of XP.

3. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I agree with thee fool, but haven't seen XP referred to as "whistler" except in some of the earlier beta releases.

@ thee fool, congrats on reaching and passing the 2 grand mark! :)

4. Den

Den Private First Class

Thanks for the replys theefool and Novice. Can't get to recovery everything I try just goes to the same thing. Got a couple more things to try before giving up though.
    Den

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

If you get there:

Go to Start > Run > msconfig > Boot.ini

See if the entry for Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal is listed there,
    if Yes, then click on Check All Boot Paths.
    Does it give you the choice to remove it because it's invalid?
    Remove it from there and restart your machine.

Steve

6. Den

Den Private First Class

Well after countless times tapping f10 till my finger is now 1 inch shorter than before I finally got the recovery screen. About an hour later all is well xp back up and running so far. And thanks Matacumbie. Yes it is there so now to see if I can get rid of it. I'll let you know.
    Den

7. Den

Den Private First Class

Matacumbie. Whistler is there but when I checked all boot paths it says (It appears that all boot ini files for microsoft operating systems are ok) with no option to uninstall. Too bad but then that would be too easy. Now to start searching.
    Den

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. Sounds alright.

When it does start you should get an option asking if you want to use Whistler Personel.

Steve

9. Den

Den Private First Class

Steve. When starting there is no option for whistler. Apparently when xp home recovered it took away that option and is now the main os and just goes straight to xp home. XP works fine with no problems though it still shows in boot ini as second os. After looking for awhile may be I should just leave well enough alone. But thats up to the owner. Thanks
    Den

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I agree. If they start having problems later with it, you know where to look and what to do. Good job. :)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds