Logon: Logoff!

Discussion in 'Software' started by ej0c, May 8, 2006.

1. ej0c

ej0c Private E-2

Hey, if I should ask this elsewhere, apologies:

System was slow, so i used autoruns to stop several startups.

On restart, a logon results in a little bit of processing and then, ..."logging off".

I'm sure I saw this problem a year or so ago, but not sure how it got fixed, or if the solution is still the same...

Thanks,
    Ed

2. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Private First Class

Can you get into safe mode? If so, reenable the start up items and see if that fixes the problem. If you can get into safe mode and that doesn't fix the problem then try restoring to last known good configuration.

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

can you boot to safe mode (f8 during bootup)?

if so, undo those autoruns you did. The best way to stop programs and services from starting is to tell them not to or disable their startup feature. There are many services to do this, I recommend RegSupremePro, its a great registry cleaner and has advanced startup options and other tools. It's a shareware, and the free trial will help you a lot. http://www.majorgeeks.com/RegSupreme_Pro_d4256.html

EDIT: seems i was beat to the punch, thats what i get for walking away for a minute :p

4. ej0c

ej0c Private E-2

Thanks,

No, can't get in to safe mode. Can start the recovery console, that's about it.

5. ej0c

ej0c Private E-2

I repaired this with my trusty copy of the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows; just rolled back the registry to yesterday.

However, there are also several related solutions involving the corruption of the winlogon key or the files.

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds