Also vulnerable due to bill pay hack

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by needhelpnalabama, Jan 3, 2009.

1. needhelpnalabama

needhelpnalabama Private E-2

I too received notification from my credit union that my computer was one of the ones that was compromised as I utilized their "bill payment partner". They offered me McAfee free for a year and some kind of identity protection free for two years. I installed McAfee and it bogged my computer down so bad I removed it. I now have Spyware Doctor. It found a thing or two initially and quarantined them. I viewed the quarantined area and asked it to remove them. Today, related or not, I don't know, I have a new problem. I have this Antivirus 2010 annoyance that uses windows security center to drive me out of my mind. It tells me my computer is vulnerable, that I have 41 infections and does all kinds of crazy stuff. Can you help me get rid of this antivirus 2010? I have read about antivirus 2008/2009, but I don't see anything about this seemingly new version. Thanks!

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Hi there and welcome :wave

You need to read thru this link here and work your way through the malware removal procedures.

Read and Run me First

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Are you also using MyFreeCheck system?

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

the Malicious Software Removal Tool that was published in December should get rid of your fake anti virus 2010

Malicious Software Removal Tool
    Published: January 11, 2005 | Updated: December 9, 2008

New Additions

We have added detection and cleaning capabilities for the following malicious software:

• FakeXPA
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Entry.aspx?name=Trojan:Win32/FakeXPA

• Yektel
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Entry.aspx?name=Trojan:Win32/Yektel.A

Also Known As:
    Win-Trojan/Downloader.56320.M (AhnLab)
    Win32/Adware.XPAntivirus (ESET)
    not-a-virus:Downloader.Win32XpAntivirus.b (Kaspersky)
    FakeAlert-AB.dldr (McAfee)
    W32/DLoader.FKAI (Norman)
    Mal/Generic-A (Sophos)
    XPAntivirus (Sunbelt Software)
    Downloader.MisleadApp (Symantec)
    XP Antivirus (other)
    Antivirus 2009 (other)
    Antivirus 2010 (other)
    Antivirus 360 (other)

5. needhelpnalabama

Ok, update. Tim, my bill pay is a partner site of my credit union. I did not directly sign up for or go to my free check. I just went to my usual banking site, clicked my usual link for bill payment and was redirected. I THINK I'm clear now. I have logs from Malwarebytes anti malware program showing the infection and showing that I'm clear. I hope this has done the trick.

6. needhelpnalabama

Here is an excerpt from the email I received from my credit union.

On Tuesday December 2, 2008, some members attempting to access CheckFree Bill Pay (the Bill Payment service within Easy Link online banking) between 12:40 A.M. and 10:10 A.M. Eastern Time were redirected to an unauthorized website not controlled by CheckFree,

I suppose as a result of this, the credit union has announced a major upgrade to the bill pay system - ya think??

Thanks to all who helped and suggested.....stay close.....it may come back.

7. needhelpnalabama

By the way, the malicious software removal tool wouldn't touch it.

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You'll need to start a new thread in the Malware Forum to take this further. This is really just a welcome forum :)

9. needhelpnalabama

Would you please move this to the malware forum for me? Many thanks.

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

There is no point. The first things they would have you do is post the logs that came out of the Read and Run Me First link that was posted by Kestrel in Post #2 of this thread. Best for you to start a new thread and post up those logs now in it :)

11. Courtesy

Courtesy Private E-2

I received the same letter by email and a letter was sent to my home. I ignore it because it was very vague. It sounded very phishy to me. After all, I run ultilities left and right on my system. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds