Netgear Router

Discussion in 'Software' started by MsApril, Dec 21, 2006.

1. MsApril

MsApril Private E-2

I have a Netgear Router that my husband and I installed and it worked great -but soon after my Internet started acting up. The wireless still works but the main PC can't find the Internet...it is connected and messengers will work but when you try to get online it says that it can't find the page -to fix this we unplug the modem and router for about 20 minutes and plug them back in and it worked but now that is not even working. I can be online fine come back 5 minutes later and it has stopped. We tried reinstalling the router in hopes that it would fix the problem but it didn't. If anyone could help me I would GREATLY appreciate it!

I am running Windows XP Pro.

April

2. Apernicus

Apernicus Private E-2

This might be your problem, as I have a netgear router also. You have to set your computer to have a permanent IP address assigned by the router. Log onto your router, and go to LAN IP setup. Then go to address reservation and set your computer with a permanent IP address. Also make sure you check the box that says use the router as your DHCP Server, this allows your router to disperse as many IP address to as many computers as you want. Any other questions send me a PM.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Nice reply but

the purpose of a forum is not to hide answers and info in PMs its to share for all, as someone else may have same issue and find your answers of help work for them too :)

@April also if you have a 3rd party software firewall on the desktop that it is not locking your internet connection after a specific time of being idle, some do. Quick test is to disable the firewall and see if you can easily connect to the net after the idle periods you mention above.

4. Apernicus

Apernicus Private E-2

thing is that there are so many things that can be altered, I dont check the forum much so if you PM me, your sure to get a response. Im not hiding answers, its a direct response for April since I have gone through 2 Netgear routers.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Regardless, its not how we do things here. A moderator is asking you specifically not to do that, because PMs cannot be searched, nor do they help future problems others may have.

Imagine the MS knowledge base if Microsoft kept individual issues private.

Pretty useless ;)

6. MsApril

MsApril Private E-2

Thank you so much for your response. That makes sense. Here is something that I noticed and I'm not sure if it is even relevant. When we installed the router we had to enter the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers and I got these numbers from Network Connection Details. After Installing the router I am seeing Lease Obtained and a date from it, and lease Expires with a date out from it...in the Network Connection Details -like today it says:

Lease Obtained 12/24/2006 12:48:39
    Lease Expires 12/31/2006 12:48:39

Again, I'm not sure if that is even relevant but I didn't notice it until after we installed the router.

Could you please tell me how to logon to the router?

April

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  7. Apernicus

Apernicus Private E-2

The lease obtained doesnt really mean anything. Not sure what it means, but mine never turns off my internet when the lease expires, It always resets the date and time for expiration.

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

A DCHP doesn't have an affect in small networks with a free fair amount of free ips, but if your in a large network were ips can run out, ie lots of machines, then a lease makes sure ips aren't wasted by being on non connected machines.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

To logon to your router and not knowing which model Netgear, but all the ones I've had from netgear use this

past this http://192.168.0.1/ into the address bar of your browser and hit enter/go you will see a box this appear

[​IMG]

type in the USER box admin and in the PASSWORD box password as those are the default user/pass ( note: this is an unsecure practice to have the password set at default and when you have sorted your issues out its worth while changing the default password to somthing you will remember, can be does via the routers software menus )

10. Apernicus

Apernicus Private E-2

That IP is not necessarily the correct one, it can also be http://192.168.1.1/ Its written on the bottom of the router, along with the standard set log in name and password.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Or, we could all be 100 percent sure and go to a cmd prompt,a nd type ipconfig /all

The router address is the default gateway for your network card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds