Securing a wireless networks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Calendros, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Calendros

Calendros Private E-2

Ok, I'm not exactly the most tech savvy, despite my better judgement. I want to know an -easy- way to secure my information on a wireless network, so when I set up filesharing on my desktop and laptop, I don't want people to be able to access my network, and if they do, they can't do anything with my comps. I tried searching the forums, but nothing seems to fit what it is I'm really looking for. I'd prefer not to have to install alot of files, and I'd really only like a do-it-once-and-forget-about-it solution, if possible.
    I'm currently on a linksys wireless, WAP11 router, if that helps any.

Any ideas? I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

To secure information on your computers, install Software Firewall and restrict the Trusted Zone to your computers only ( http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted ).

To secure the Wireless use the security provided by the WAP11 (I think it is only WEP).

From the weakest to the Strongest..
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    -------------------------------------------
    Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

The security must be set according to lowest capable Wireless component.
    I.e. even most of you Wireless are capable to do WPA2, but one device is only capable to do WEP, the whole system must be configured to WEP.

3. pari22

pari22 Corporal

Calendros,
    Assuming you want to share the wireless connection with other computers, you should use WEP security setting for your wireless router. This will ensure only the computers YOU want is on the network. Procedure to set this up is very easy - just look at your router's manual.
    For your shared file/folder security, you don't need to install anything. Just use windows security. In order to do this, you need to setup users and passwords in "user accounts" under control panel. and make sure you only give certain users the right to view/edit your shared files. This requires little bit of understanding of OS and Network security. But if you're looking for a "do-it-once-and-forget-about-it solution", I suggest you use windows permission settings.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds