Blue Screen, No Safe Mode, Cannot Boot From CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Software' started by misslaura1987, Dec 18, 2009.

1. misslaura1987

misslaura1987 Private E-2

Start up the computer and I get the blue screen reading:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8050ED8F, 0xF967952C, 0xF9679228)

Restart; try to boot in safe mode; blue screen

Restart; boot with last known good configuration; blue screen

Restart; boot to CD-ROM drive; "Strike F1 to retry boot; strike F2 for setup utility"
    F1; same
    F2; setup utility...useless for me...

Searched google for any solutions and found none so far. Coming to you guys was my last resort as I hate to bother yous but I figure you guys might be the only help I can get other than taking it to a shop...

Thanks in advance,
    Laura

2. misslaura1987

Aah, yeah, I was in a rush...I knew I forgot something:

Dell Dimension 2400
    Pentium 4
    Windows XP

Yes, I actually did check the sequence; IDE CD-ROM Device is #1 by default. #2 is Hard disk drive C:. I also tried disabling drive C: just to see if the CD-ROM would work but had no luck so I enabled it again...not that it would do me any good without the hard disk anyway...

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. plodr

I have not found much to be helpful regarding your error.
    On the back of your computer there are 4 lights - what do the four lights show? These help diagnose problems too.

Rather than take it to a shop, have them restore and charge you $$$$, you can do the same thing yourself.
    NOTE: when you restore, all files and programs you have installed will be gone and unrecoverable. All windows updates have to be done again too.

Here's what to do to restore your Dimension 2400:
    1. At bootup press ctrl + F11
    2. In the window Dell PC Restore by Symantec, click the Restore button
    or keep pressing the tab button until Restore is highlighted, then press enter
    3. You will get a warning about all data will be lost; click Confirm then enter.

My notes says the restore takes about 8 - 10 minutes (I have a Dimension 2400 in my home but I've never restored it).
    When the restore is done you will get a message "The system recovery process was successful". You then click the finish button.

5. misslaura1987

Unfortunately you're right, none of them apply to me. :(
    Unhooking the ribbon does not work.
    Lights are all lit up green...
    And when I press ctrl + F11 it just brings me to the screen that gives me options to start windows in safe mode or normally...tried several times.

6. plodr

So ctrl + F11 gives you the same options as F8; that shouldmn't happen.
    I'm at a lose as to tell you what else to try because it seems like you've hit a brick wall:
    1. The restore isn't working
    2. the hard drive doesn't seem to be working
    3. the optical drive isn't working

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What exactly does the CD you are trying to boot say on the label?

You should have gotten one for OS installation and one or two for drivers. Only the OS installation CD would be bootable.

I'm not sure older DELLs have a restore partition. I believe they may have an emergency diagnostic partition that will start if no boot devices are working.

8. misslaura1987

Ok so...the CD decided to boot. I repaired Windows and logged into safe mode. I ran Ccleaner, SuperAntispyware, Malware Bytes and Combofix which removed of loads of trojans and got the computer clean without having to reformat or shell out cash. Woo! I don't know what the deal was but whatever the case I thank you for your help, it was greatly appreciated.

Hope you all had happy holidays!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds