0x0000008e upon startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mada, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Mada

Mada Private E-2

OK, so its been 2 days of internet surfing and trying to fix my laptop and now i've reached a block.
    It all started by trying to connect my brothers digital camera to my laptop.
    as soon as i connected it i got a BSOD. I tried it again and got the same as soon as i connected it. So I thought that might be the cause of lack of memory due to my installation of Backtrack via usb booting (for experimenting purpose where i learnt nothing) which i gave 22GB so I decided to delete that partition and give it to my C:\\ and so i did the deleting.
    I went to Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management and formatted that partition which gave me free space instead of unallocated memory so i just let it be and restarted my pc and got the "Grub rescue" (skipping all the details) i solved that then got a BSOD as soon as i logged in "0x0000008" and also kinda sloved that cause i got to stay logged in for a very long time. then i downloaded a software that helped me merge the free space to C:\\ the restarted it. and since then i've been getting This BSOD:
    "0x0000008e (0xC0000005... some more numbers that change")
    i am now logged in via safe mode with networking. Safe mode is my only option of access to my laptop and i've tried almost everything i found i even read all the five 0x0000008e posts that i found here and still no use.
    I really dont want to format my windows

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    What it sounds like to me is a RAM problem, get yourself a copy of memtest :

http://www.memtest.org/download/1.70....70.floppy.zip

Unpack the zip and create the bootable floppy

Shut everything down and remove all your ram sticks.
    Put them back in one at a time and boot the memtest floppy.

Let each stick go through at least one pass...
    If RED lines start scrolling at bottom, you have a bad memory...

3. Mada

Mada Private E-2

iain.t
    Thanks but i am using a lap top so i cant use a floppy disk and the link you sent me is invalid this is what i did.
    I downloaded:

* Memtest86+ V4.10 (04/05/2010) *
    -Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

and made an image disk. not sure if the version makes a difference if it does do let me know am kinda new at this.

So if I have a bad memory what do i do to fix it? Do i have to buy a new one?
    :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  4. Mada

Mada Private E-2

Thanks i ran the test till it said Pass complete and the memory is fine so i guess the ram is not the problem and i have only one ram in my laptop and its 2GB.

5. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Ok so that rules out tram failure ;).

I am now thinking that you may have a rootkit virus!! do you use social networking sites like facebook?? have you clicked on any new linked pages of lately??
    Take a read here......

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2006-070513-1305-99&tabid=2

read what it says then hit the removal button go through the process laid out and see how you go from there.

I would also advise for you to go through the malware removal guide here...

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

try to do all of the scans set out for your OS and attach logs in a new thread here...

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

6. Mada

Mada Private E-2

This means that i have to download norton anti virus and update right?
    if so then can i run an update and follow the instructions there while in safe mode with networking.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds