New to networks, need your help please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jennmomof3, Jun 27, 2008.

1. jennmomof3

jennmomof3 Private First Class

I am very new to networks and do not understand them very well. Please explain in "everyday" terms your answers and steps. Thank you "hugely" in advance.

Here's what I have. My desktop pc is a Dell, and it is running XP Home. My internet connection is cable (Comcast).

I also just got a used Dell Inspiron e1505 laptop. I'm not understanding this either. When I go to "system information" it says, its a Dell Inspiron I6400. Is it is the same thing? Also, under RAM it says, "794MHz, 0.99 GB of RAM".... is this good? It doesn't sound like much to me, but the laptop is pretty fast.

But to the point.... I would like to be able to hook the laptop up to the internet. I really don't care about the 2 computers being connected to each other, unless that is the only way I can connect the laptop to the internet. I could not tell you what stuff is installed on the laptop as far as hardware and such. I know there is a program I could run, but I dont know how to get it on there without an internet connection.

Wow, sorry for rambling on, but what I'm asking is, could you please tell me what I need to do to get the laptop online? Could I even just install the Comcast software on the laptop and just disconnect the desktop from the internet? I would like wireless internet for the laptop, but .... not sure how to do that either.

When I got the laptop, I also got a thing that plugs into a USB port. It is a Linksys, Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter (2.4 GHz, 802.11g). I also have the installation disk for it. The person we go the laptop from, started installing it and didn't finish, I went to finish and can't get anywhere with it, the program told me I need to uninstall the driver for it to reinstall it "fresh", but I don't know what to look for or how to do this.

I know I'm full of problems here since I don't know what I need to do. Hope this makes sense to you and you can help me! :confused

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Yes, you can install comcast on the laptop, but you can access the Internet with either computer at a time, not both at the same time. If you want to do the latter, you need a router.

[MODEM]---[ROUTER]===[PCs]

Since you have a Wireless G adapter in the laptop, might as well look at Linksys Wireless G router for about $50. You can wire the router to the PC through a network cable. Or buy a wireless card for the PC for about $20.

Go to start, control..., add/remove programs, look for any existing wireless program, uninstall it, restart pc, install the Linksys driver.

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You could go to Dell Support , add the service tag from your laptop and get the original configuration information and up to date drivers for your comp. (The service tag should be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.) Depending on the age, I would think it would have a wireless card installed from the factory.
    The 1 GB of RAM is good.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds