Help! Computer won't boot/turns self off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luckydenvermint, Nov 2, 2009.

1. luckydenvermint

luckydenvermint Private E-2

Hi all, hope you can help me with my problem;

I have a Dell Dimension E520 which started having problems this morning and is now practically dead.

Firstly the PC crashed whilst running a game. Not unusual but the usual Ctr-Alt-Del had no effect and I had to manually power down the computer.

I then turned the PC back on but no video was displayed, and instead the orange standby light appeared on the monitor. The PC itself sounded like it was booting as normal.

Next, thinking that the VGA cable must be loose I removed and re-inserted all the wires back in but still no video and the orange light remained. However this time the PC whilst booting emitted 2 quick beeps.

Looking on the dell website for the beep codes of the E520 no explanation is given for the quick 2 short beeps;

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime520/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1054148

I opened up the PC, removed and replaced the video card and the memory modules and again started up the computer. The computer started for about 3-4 seconds (no video) and then promptly turned itself off.

Does this sound like a power problem? dead graphics card or motherboard?

I really am at my wits end, I back up my work regularly but my uni project I've completed in the last couple of days is now stuck on there.

I've also tried a second monitor to no avail.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds