Roxio help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Software' started by mmurek, Dec 31, 2003.

1. mmurek

mmurek Private E-2

I am having problems with Roxio Easy CD & DVD creator Ver.6. I am trying to make Dvd's from AVI, MPG files on my hard drive using a Plextor 708A drive I just bought. The problem is the size of the files for a full movie are always too large to fit on a 4.7Gig disk. Even a 1.5 hour movie like Next Friday is 5.5Gig acording to Roxio. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Mitch

2. flip

flip Private First Class

movie dvd's are a little over 9 gig. This is because they have subtitle info, bonus material, 6 different audio/language, etc etc. If you are looking to take some of that out when you backup your dvd try using a program like this

3. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

there are different types of dvd

dvd-5 is the kind you can buy on any computer store

one-sided single-layer disc and can contain upto 4.38 gigabytes of data on it.
    although it tells you it can hold 4.7 in reality it can only hold 4.38 gigabytes

then you have the other

dvd-9 single-sided dual-layer DVD disc. DVD-9 can hold approximately 7.95 gigabytes of data, even though marketers like to use the 8.5GB value instead, but this is misleading and is calculated by using so-called "Japanese gigabytes" which means that gigabyte is calculated as 1,000 megabytes, but in real computer terminology, gigabyte is 1,024 megabytes.
    this is the one that the movies come in that is why you can fit so much data in them
    they are dual layer which means it doubles the capacity of a dvd-5

now there are more different kinds, but these two are the ones you should worry about.

to be able to burn a dvd you will first have to use the right software. these movies are coded with an anti copying systme called ntsc which does not allow any software to copy them. ROxio will not copy them therefore you need the right software

I dont think dvd shrink will burn them it will just shrink them to your harddrive then you have to use another type of software to burn them like clone dvd

you still have to worry about the encryption on them.

you can get more infor on all of these topics at

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvd-5.cfm

4. flip

flip Private First Class

dvd shrink isnt for burning. it re-authors the dvd with oly the things you want. so you can take out the french subtitles, or all the secondary languages, etc etc. once its done, you go back to your dvd burning software and burn the dvd.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds