Why are my SATA drives listed as removable storage?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bryanjmcc, Mar 2, 2008.

1. bryanjmcc

bryanjmcc Private E-2

It's an eye sore, nothing more. I like my task bar clean. I all ready attempted to switch the settings under each drives' properties, but the icon still remains in the task bar. I reverted back to optimal performance mode. How can I fix this?

XP

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

is this what you are seeing (link below)? this was from a thread i had a few months back, and i never got an answer.

well, it looks like all is good. however, now i have 1 problem (it might not be a problem, but i don't like it), and, i have 1 question. http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2109123859&size=o <-- (after i did all of the ati installation, and abit driver installation this started coming up) - is there anyway to get rid of this? basically, it's a sata drive, and i partioned it (on os installation), and that is what you see in the pic.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm running a 250gb SATA drive on an MSI mobo with a VIA chipset. I also have my drive being listed as a removable device, and I have seen this on MANY computers with SATA drives. Down by the clock in the system tray I have the little icon with the green arrow above the little card or device or whatever it is. To me, it's never been a big deal and I accept it as normal. It doesn't affect anything, other than being an "eye sore" (slightly extreme terminology IMHO) so I just ignore it. BUT- if someone knows how to change this so Windows doesn't think my HD is a removable device, that would be cool too. Like I said, I have had no issues, so I don't really even care ;)

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Seems that motherboards using an nVidia nForce 4 chipset, also throw this up in Vista.
    I have not seen this happen, myself, but perhaps it has something to do with the availability, and drivers where a motherboard has esata capabilities, giving hot swappable capabilities,and raid/non raid setup.
    I will try a bit of jiggery pokery with my spare partition, in XP to see if I can find anything..

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As I have HyperOs on my system, it might be different, but when I check in XP partition, my other hard drives are checked for optimal, and ticked for indexing.
    I can only uncheck the indexing, and not change the optimal setting in this system, so, I cannot offer anything more - but I will keep looking into it, ( I don't like unsolved problems that I get into).

6. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

guys/gals, this was my original link/post.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145572

when i reinstalled the os on my friends comp (windows xp), i had a few things i had to overcome (link above). once i did this and that, i never had any problems (nothing about external stuff). when i finally installed their m/b drivers (disk he gave me) towards the end of my working on it, is when i saw the sata drive being seen as an external drive (ie - screenshot).

it only bugged me as this was not my comp (friends), and i didn't like it. it kinda looks like my comp, but i have the 8-1 (or whatever) memory card reader, that starts on bootup, but i always disable it after startup. - sos

fyi, i'm not worried about it now, as i don't have the comp, but would like to know what would fix it (if possible). - sos

7. bryanjmcc

bryanjmcc Private E-2

sosaman, that is exactly what it looks like.

Whats up dlb, did you get my last post on the "coming out of stand-by mode" thread? New board works great.

baklogic, I was able to switch from the optimal settings, but no matter what I did, the icon remained. I'll just deal with it, obviously I'm not the only one with the problem! My boards with ATI chip-sets do NOT have the problem...

Peace all

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused Sorry man, I don't know :eek: My memory and brain are like swiss cheese; full of holes (but good with pastrami (??)) I probably did.... in any case, I'm glad to hear that things are working great :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds