My New 'Toy': Ivan.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

So finally got most of the cosmoline off my new toy, and took some pictures of it. I did mess up part of the stock, seems that modern Hoppe's Blast & Shine Barrel Blaster and wood finishes from the 1930's don't mix... Oh well, gun is still functional, and after deer season I plan on stripping the stock and giving it a nice oil finish.

So, as some of you know, took a while for it to come in, but here is 'Ivan', made in the Tula factory in Russia, 1930. It is a Mosin Nagant bolt action rifle, chambered in the 7.62x54R. Was designed in the late 1800's, and ironicly, Winchester was contracted to make some ammo for Russia, and even Remington made some Mosin Nagants. Seems WWI changed that... The rifle was used in WWI, WWII, Korea, some in Vietnam, and it is probably used still by some in the Middle East.

It is a large, heavy rifle. It is 48.5" long without the bayonet, with the bayonet, it is over 5' long. Some of the stock finish, and some paint on the gun is not the best quality, but the bolt is in excellent shape, and the rifling in the barrel is VERY nice looking, not worn at all, no signs of corrosion. I am very happy with my new toy. Really wanted a US Garand, but those start at around $600 and go way up from there. Due to like 37 million Mosin's being made by several countries, there are a bunch of them, and they start at around $79 and go up from there.

:cool

Now I need to buy a recoil pad for it, and take it to the range.

The first picture shows the gun as it came loaded with cosmoline, the third is the same area after cleaning, and the last picture is the bolt taken apart. That is one massive firing pin!

Attached Files:

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hehe, that thing could probably do some serious damage on its own!:eek Nice piece man.:) Now go get a buck!:yum

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Too bad silencers are such a regulated item here in the US. With a silencer, I could hunt off my deck. Got a few deer that live in the woods. See them every day or so. :-D

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I thought LA was quite unregualated watching that Discovery show called 'Sons of Guns' or something like that. They're always building automatic weapons of some sort there for folk. Seen them make a suppressor for a 12 guage which reduced the noise by some 20 db, I guess that's not a silencer eh? I'm a gun n00b.;):-D

I guess the old adage still stands, don't believe what you see on TV.:-D

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That is the joys of federal laws. Louisiana has changed it's state laws regarding suppressors. But you still have federal restricitons. With the proper license, you can sell and manufacture silencers, and full auto guns. Class 3 I think? But in order for me to buy one, you have to go through some long (6 month I am told) application process. And of course pay a fee. If I am remembering right, if you would repeat the application and fee for each additional silencer you get.

Silencers should would make trips to the range more fun! Sometimes I feel a little bad about shooting the .45 when someone else is shooting a .22... By now the folks at the indoor range know when me and my friends show up to just give us one of the 4 lane rooms. Nobody wants to be in the room when 3 AR-15's are going off. :-D We usually go early, and there is rarely anyone else there.

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Welcome to MG Ivan!

Did I read correctly that this gem was but $79?

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Nope Boom, but close. They started at $79, $89 for the hex receiver (I am told hex is better, not sure why) and add $10 for Tula manufacture (again, I am told Tula is the better factory). Due to a mixup with my FFL and the site, my order was delayed. They sold out of the $89 + $10 ones. Mine cost $109 plus $20 shipping, and $21 to FFL transfer it to me. Still, for a nice piece of history, and a shootable gun, a steal in my opinion. :major

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I say it is a nice price as I see Black Friday specials for much more. Bonus for the extra cosmolene. :-D

9. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

'Ivan' is indeed a handsome fellow! Have fun with your new family member, Fred.:cool:major
    The hex receiver is supposedly stronger, due to the inherit strength of the hex design, that's about all I know.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds