Can't remove uninstalled program with Add/Remove Programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Langolier, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Langolier

Langolier Private E-2

Greetings. First off, I wasn't quite sure where to put this, so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum area.

Now for the problem.

Two months ago I uninstalled Final Fantasy XI and Playonline Viewer. However Playonline Viewer and Playonline Viewer Tetra Master still appear in the Add/Remove programs list.

I have tried removing said program via regedit but I can't seem to find it in there.

I can't find anything about it anywhere on my system, yet it still appears on the list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(

2. jerseydevil

jerseydevil Private First Class

I would try reinstalling the program and then running the uninstaller again.

3. Langolier

Langolier Private E-2

Crap. That puts me in a bind. To make sure I never went back on my word and got pulled into the FFXI (an MMORPG) I threw out my discs. I remember when I first went to uninstall it gave me an error and said a file was missing. However I didn't write it down immediately because I figured I could try again later and it would display the error message again.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Sometimes programs still remain in the Add or Remove Programs list after they have been uninstalled. Others insist on running components even after they've been removed, and icons for some "removed" programs may continue to appear in your system tray (next to the clock).

While you can manually remove stuck entries by editing the Registry, Microsoft has a much more thorough [and far less dangerous] option called the [Windows Installer Cleanup Utility - Description]

You might also try using Crap Cleaner (CCleaner) which is a tool/program program that comes with a registry scanner that scans for invalid references [including invalid installer references] and has options to start cleaning automatically or from the command line.

6. Robert

Robert Sergeant

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

As a last resort, only after trying the earlier recommendations, you can delete the folders (and all files), via Windows Explorer. Not recommended as a first resort, only as a last resort.

Also as mentioned earlier, CCleaner will clean up "Obsolete Software".

Make sure you click on the "Issues" icon, on the left hand side of your screen and run "Scan for Issues".

Under "Registry Integrity", make sure that "Obsolete Software" is ticked on.

Bazza

8. Langolier

Langolier Private E-2

It's gone now. Thank you!

I went through the registry already and thought I had deleted it, but a more careful examination of the registry keys revealed there was still one more key left.

Thank you for your help, everyone. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds