I am Sadly no Computer Geek!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by sansom, Mar 21, 2007.

1. sansom

sansom Private E-2

Dear All,

I am an old campaigner and trying to get to grips with the technical stuff, having avoided it for too many years.

I use the computer a lot to surf for resources for writing and self advancement. Yet I seem to pick up lots if bugs which are not easily removed so I have to call in an expert. Having lost my job recently I cannot afford to call people in and so must learn all that I can for self help purposes.

Just now there is something a little nasty on my computer now. I am trying to work my way through Major Geeks malware removal pages, but gettinga little lost.

One thing that I have noticed is a flashing blue/white question mark in the bottom right hand corner of my screen (Windows XP). This changes to a red circle (stop sign...sort of) with diagonal red bar across.

At regular intervals (extremely irritating as usually stops me writing) a message bubble pops up. When I click it "SPYLOCKED" product webpage comes up. I have removed all traces (I thought) of the offending programme to no avail.

Can anybody help?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Samsom Welcome to Majorgeeks!

The best optionis to continue with the guide below and once completed post a new thread in malware with the requested logs attached, if yo ucannot do a step continue onto the next but tell us why it wouldnt run or you couldnt do it, then the malware guys can help you through it, but do post in malware as that part of the forum is locked from all but trusted malware experts to assist you so it keeps the information linear and stops confusion that can happen when multiple people chime in.

Please follow our standard cleaning procedures which are necessary for us to provide you support. Also there are steps included for installing, running, and posting HijackThis logs as attachments.
    • Run ALL the steps in this Sticky thread READ & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking for Support
    • Make sure you check version numbers and get all updates.
    • Very Important: Make sure you tell us the results from running the tutorial...was anything found? Were you unable to complete any of the scans?...Were you unable to download any of the tools?...Did you do the on-line scans as suggested? etc.
    • After doing ALL of the above you still have a problem make sure you have booted to normal mode and run the steps in the below link to properly use HijackThis and attach a log:
    Downloading, Installing, and Running HijackThis

Make sure you also rename HijackThis.exe as suggested in the procedures. Use analyse.exe for the new name. This is very important due to some new infections going around.

• When you return to make your next post, make sure you attach the following logs and that you have run these scans in the following order too:
      • CounterSpy
      • AVG Antispyware log - ONLY IF NEEDED you were not able to run CounterSpy
      • Bitdefender - from step 6
      • Panda Scan - from step 6
      • runkeys.txt - the log from GetRunKey.bat
      • newfiles.txt - the log from ShowNew.bat
      • HijackThis
    NOTE: You can only attach 3 files in a single message so it will require that you use two messages to attach all of these logs!

3. sansom

sansom Private E-2

Dear Halo,

Thank you for your response.

I am trying to download the various items. I was unable to download anythig last night. I have now downloaded 'GetRunKey' and 'Shownet', but cannot get Spybot downloaded for some strange reason.

I will continue to try and when I have done all I will get back to you.

Thank you sir.

4. sansom

sansom Private E-2

Hi Guys,

I have failed to download Counterspy after numerous attempts. Dunno what is going on.

I have managed to download Hi-jack This, but cannot open it up. When I unzip it, a message comes up saying it is successfully unzipped, but nothing happens, there is no box on the screen or anything added to the folder that I have downloaded the programme to. Also nothing happens if I click of double click the icon in the programme file.

This never happened when I had windows ME, until quite recently.

Heck this is getting messy.

Any ideas in this regard?

Sansom.

5. sansom

sansom Private E-2

Dear Halo,

I have now managed to download the programmes recommended and done the scans. For section 6, I was unable to utilise either of the programmes.

My Hijack this scan is as below.

If I have failed protocol in anyway please let me know.
    ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2007
  6. DavidGP

Hi

Yes you will need to read what I posted above in the guide and actually follow the info on what scans are needed and how to install the applications and attaching the logs then post in this forum http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35 , with a brief explanation of the issues your having and attach the logs.

7. sansom

sansom Private E-2

Dear Halo,

I am OK with this other than the fact that I simply am not getting anywhere with the online scans with the two programmes in section 6. This is somewhat of a stumbling block, and I will have to abort the entire operation if insisted upon.

Any views on how to proceed?

:cry

8. DavidGP

Ah ok, as the guide mentioned if your having issues with any section or scan move onto the next, but do start a new thread in Malware with the scans you could complete, as the quicker the malware guys can get to the scans you could run as per the guide then the quicker they can remove the malware on your PC.

9. sansom

sansom Private E-2

Hi Halo,

I have just scanned and cleansed the computer using all the programmes suggested (that I could download).

I see to have got rid of the main problem, although there is still something not quite right so I will see how things go for now and then get back to you.

Sansom.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds