high cpu usage when running a 3d online poker game(100% !!!!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gordie, Mar 17, 2009.

1. gordie

gordie Private E-2

hello everyone not sure if this is in the right forum if its not then i appologise..
    over the last week i have been experencing problems running pkr ( 3d online poker).
    every time i load the game my pc freezes, i looked at task manager and my cpu usage is at 100% with the red bars not far behind..
    when i close down the programme every thing runs fine the thing i dont understand is that it was running fine up until a week ago...
    i understand that you might need some info about my pc but do not know how to get this, so if some one could tell me what i need to do i will get the info you need all that i know about my pc is that its a phillips freevents mt1400 intel p4 3.06ghz with 1gig of ram.
    please please can someone help as im at my wits end with this, any help will be appreceated thanks for taking the time to read this and i hope someone can help me... gordie

2. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

3. gordie

gordie Private E-2

hi voodoo3rd,thank you i used the ccleaner as you recomended which showed a few problems, i let the program fix these. i also already use search and destroy which shows nothing tried to run pkr again and i still does the same
    can you recomend anything else that could be causing this problem
    thanks again gordie

4. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

Try un-installing the application then re-install it. Also try updating your graphics drivers and directX. components. The catalyst driver software will work with your 9250.

5. gordie

gordie Private E-2

hi again voodoo3rd tried everything you suggested.......and its still the same :cry
    could it be that my graphics card is pants...

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Open Device Manager, go to the top and left click twice on the CPU to see your usage programs.

7. gordie

gordie Private E-2

ive done what you suggested, what am i looking for (sorry to sound dumb)

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

What programs or processes are using the most CPU time? May be able to cut some back. Something running in the background that doesn't need to be running at all.

9. gordie

gordie Private E-2

:confusedam i right in saying that on task manager it's the tab with processes,
    when i look at that it gives a list of image names with mem usage which looks like this
    image name user name cpu mem usage
    teatimer.exe 02 78,876
    explorer.exe 00 35,100 and so on
    now when i run pkr i can watch this climb straight to the top... cpu usage goes from 61 upto 98 cpu and the mem usage is 190,288
    at the bottom of the page it says with out pkr running i have 47 processes running with a cpu usage of upto 15% and commit charge 754M/1772M if this makes any sense
    thank you gordie

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

The TeaTimer option of Spybot is a big user. Main reason I don't use the program.

11. gordie

gordie Private E-2

how do i turn this option off

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

This should help with that, Disable TeaTimer

13. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

can you send us a HiJack This log,we want to see the programs you're runing on your comp.

14. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, it was MS Tuesday last week for updates so that might have something to do with the issue assuming you yourself didn't change/install anything at that time either. Do you have a restore point for the 10th or earlier? You can always restore back to today if that's not the issue.

EDIT: I really don't understand why folks would point to startup issues slowing a machine down as that would be a valid diagnoses, this is a BANG!! you're dead issue.:confused

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  15. gordie

gordie Private E-2

hope this is what your after

Attached Files:

16. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I visit the PKR site and to tell you the truth the lag in your computer is the ATI card you have.This online game is very demanding game.When was the last time you clean your compuer inside.Might check this.Maybe upgrading the card will solve the problem.BTW,try playing the game in low-detail.Try that.

17. gordie

gordie Private E-2

the last time i cleaned my pc was the day after this started and yes i was very clogged up.
    i have been using the play in low detail since day 1 as i use a mobile broadband dongle..
    so i guess your right its time to get my cash out and buy a new graphics card.
    anyone have any suggestions as to which one i should buy
    thank you every one for your time

18. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

19. DavidGP

Hi

before buying a new GFX card, would really like to try something else and looking at the startups you have and more so the security ones, if this game runs on your PC but connects via the internet to play, then you may have something security wise bogging down while scanning incoming and outgoing data.

So use StartupCPL and untick the following (not all needed to be stopped but humour me as some that are not security apps that are there are useless additions to startup) should be similar named to the ones below from your HJT log

ehome\ehtray.exe
    %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -u ~~~~ This signifies your PC is crashing, may halt then come back to you, with visual looking as if the taskbar and all onscreen icons disapear and come back... do you get this?
    RECGUARD.EXE
    ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    SOUNDMAN.EXE
    PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe (security app)
    ThreatFire\TFTray.exe (security app)
    Active Security Monitor\ASMonitor.exe" HIDEMAIN (security app)
    [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
    ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime -Delay
    system32\ctfmon.exe ~ Part of Office and not needed unless you use alternative inputs such as speach or handwriting tablet, removal is best and instructions here
    \Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe (not needed but you need to uninstall and update this to Acrobat 9 lite or Foxit Reader
    Update Agent.lnk = ? ~~~ Delete as it is orphaned.

Once deleted or disabled reboot and try your game again.

Also look in Event Viewer at time of 100% CPU lockup and see if in Application or System their is any errors, if so what?

20. gordie

gordie Private E-2

21. gordie

gordie Private E-2

i turned off everything you recomended and tried to run pkr again, but this time my pc seemed to run slower than before this time 100% usage was reached before i even logged in
    in event viewer what am i looking for

22. gordie

gordie Private E-2

hi i looked in event viewer and it has aload of errors i have attached the event viewer could those errors be causing my problems...
    thanks again gordie :confused

Attached Files:

• a.txt
      File size:
      3.3 KB
      Views:
  23. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is side by side? Googling for that is almost useless unless we have more information.

24. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Plodr I found this:http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-070514-5200-99

It's an adware.

Updated: February 13, 2007 11:45:39 AM
    Type: Adware
    Publisher: sidebysidesearch.com
    Risk Impact: Low
    File Names: sbss.exe
    Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

Behavior
    Adware.SideBySide directs web searches to sidebysidesearch.com, and displays pop-up ads.
    Symptoms
    Your Symantec program detects Adware.SideBySide.
    Transmission
    The SideBySideSearch installer must be executed.

I think it's time to visit our malware fighters.

25. gordie

gordie Private E-2

i found this on the ms website if this is of any use..
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914061

26. DavidGP

Hi

SideBySide is part of Windows resource assemblies, but could be corrupted, so runnin system file checker could fix a corrupted or changed system file, from a command prompt type sfc /scannow

but try this first as hopefully installing/re-installing MS Visual C++ may help this one if its just the case of a missing file
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...EE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

BUT as mentioned could also indicate malware but we would need to know some of the faulting files that would be in the Event Log references to Error 59 Side By Side, so double click one to open and it should in the error log list a location and file that caused this error.

27. gordie

gordie Private E-2

hello again everyone just a quick update for you...
    well my pc finally died... i have tried to reinstall xp from disc but when it comes to entering the product keys after typing it in i get a message saying invalid product key......
    how can this be i have the certificate of authenticity and have typed it in correct (this is the same product key i had when i bought it from the shop)
    can anybody give me any advice again
    thanks gordie:cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds