Shogun 2 shuts off PC.

Discussion in 'Software' started by reaces, Apr 18, 2011.

1. reaces

reaces Private E-2

Shogun 2 shuts off the moment I enter a game (choose my race, accepted the starting quest, then my pc shuts off)

I'm running a computer with a gtx480 and windows ultimate 64 bit.

The computers brand new, runs everything perfectly, EXCEPT shogun 2, that apparently shuts off my pc.
    The temperature was between 19-20 degrees when the pc shut off, the power supply has a surplus of over 100 watts remaining, and there is no error or sound of any kind, the computer simply shuts off.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

does it reboot? or shut off and stay off. Im guessing there's a blue screen in there, just goes by too fast to see. otherwise you might want to see if this is a common problem with that game on the maker's site or forums.

You'll want to set your computer to NOT reboot when there's a BSOD or other error.
    just copied and pasted cause im lazy:
    1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.
    Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

2. Click on the System and Security link.
    Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. Click on the System link.

4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8. Click OK in the System Properties window.

9. You can now close the System window.

10. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.

3. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hi ! Short cut to System Properties.
    Right click My Computer.
    Left click Properties.
    Then follow Steps 4 thur 10 of the smokingun.
    Nice tip smokinggun. Thanks!!:wave

4. reaces

reaces Private E-2

I followed your advice, and tried to see what would happen 2ce.
    Neither time did I get a BSOD, just a fast restart of my computer.

Each time the game did seem to run stable slightly longer though, the last time it took almost a minute to crash my computer, and I don't think I did anything differently.

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

if it is indeed a bsod, I checked the shogun forums, and there seems to be widespread occurances. Their official stance is that it's hardware/driver related and not game related.
    quoted from a forum moderator:
    seems to be a need to update your drivers. Video and audio most likely.

here's a link that seems to be helpful. keep in mind that your hardware configuration is probably not like the others listed, but they seem to have been fixed.
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/10773-List-of-Blue-Screen-Fixes

6. reaces

reaces Private E-2

So far after trying out most if not all of the fixes found so far, the problem persists.

I'll try a bit longer when I get home tonight, and if nothing works I'll post a dxdiag, and pray.

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Revisit Post #2 and set Windows to save a minidump without overwriting, if you do get a minidump, it can be uploaded and analysed or you can load it in BlueScreenView and use the lower pane to list the loaded drivers by age to track down any that need updating.

Check for errors before and after your crashes by using Event Viewer; Right click (My) Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > Windows logs > look at the System and Application logs for clues. These logs can be saved, if you save them as the default type, you could zip and attach them here, we may be able to track down some clues as to the cause.

What make/model of PSU do you have?

8. reaces

reaces Private E-2

I'm relatively sure both my graphic and sound drivers are up to date, aswell as my version of the game, and tried the "alienware work-around" for the problem. (turning off c-state)

So far nothing worked, the event log for the latest crash seems to be 10 different Security-SSP events in the application log, followed by the crash, which gives the following error in the system log.

I'm currently using the slightly overkill 1KW alienware PSU, I'm unsure what the exact make and model is.

Code:
    Log Name:      System
    Source:        EventLog
    Date:          19/04/2011 18:00:09
    Event ID:      6008
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      All-Mine
    Description:
    The previous system shutdown at 17:58:43 on ‎19/‎04/‎2011 was unexpected.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="EventLog" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-19T16:00:09.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>5921</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>All-Mine</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>17:58:43</Data>
        <Data>‎19/‎04/‎2011</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>4150</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Binary>DB0704000200130011003A002B007C03DB070400020013000F003A002B007C03600900003C000000010000006009000000000000B00400000100000000000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

9. satrow

Hmm, a kilowatt should be fine ;) the logged error is just a bad shutdown, no clues there - could you save the complete log (or the log filtered to say the last 7 days) log as the default type, zip and upload it as an attachment please? I'll trawl through it looking for further clues.

EDIT: Have you checked and reseated all internal connections, cards, RAM, etc.?

10. reaces

reaces Private E-2

Pretty much evrything is brand new, and other than one crash after finishing crysis2 in one big gaming session this weekend, the pc is running perfectly.

Attached Files:

11. satrow

Ok, I've filtered the logs down to errors etc. and I see a lot of Broadcom (network card) errors, VDS (virtual disk service?), .NET version errors and some Windows Installer/PhysX errors. If you could look into those, you might be able to get some of them cleaned up - it might help.

Attached Files:

12. reaces

reaces Private E-2

Sorry I should have specified this before, and made the logs somewhat smaller.
    The computer is only a week old, the errors from before the 16th are pretty much just stuff not being installed yet, the large batch of .net errors is from before updating my .net software, the physx errors is because nvidia didn't properly install the physx, so I performed a clean install of my physx.

Mainly evrythings been working fine since the 17th-18th, exept shogun2.
    The Broadcom errors are from my internet being down, due to streetworks, so it gave an "ethernet not connected" error.
    The memory leak, after googling it further seems to be a false positive.
    The virtual drive error seems to be common with using virtual drive media in windows x64, and is considered harmless.

I still don't know what's causing shogun2 to turn off my pc.
    And as far as the error log goes, I have no idea what the following error means and the rest I seem to be able to attribute to either something harmless, or something fixed, exept offcourse for the generic critical failure my pc seems to generate when shutting down for shogun2.
    Going to run shogun2 again, let my pc crash, see if the logs turn up anything more usefull....

Code:
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-RestartManager
    Date:          19/04/2011 19:29:49
    Event ID:      10010
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      
    User:          All-Mine\Robbe
    Description:
    Application 'C:\Windows\explorer.exe' (pid 2364) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-RestartManager" Guid="{0888E5EF-9B98-4695-979D-E92CE4247224}" />
        <EventID>10010</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-19T17:29:49.039690700Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2123</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="6220" ThreadID="3564" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2324837519-1572802982-2926356935-1001" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <RmUnsupportedRestartEvent xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/2005/08/Windows/Reliability/RestartManager/">
          <RmSessionId>0</RmSessionId>
          <Pid>2364</Pid>
          <FullPath>C:\Windows\explorer.exe</FullPath>
          <DisplayName>Windows Explorer</DisplayName>
          <AppVersion>0</AppVersion>
          <AppType>4</AppType>
          <TSSessionId>1</TSSessionId>
          <Status>67108865</Status>
          <Reason>1</Reason>
        </RmUnsupportedRestartEvent>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-RestartManager
    Date:          19/04/2011 19:29:49
    Event ID:      10010
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      
    User:          All-Mine\Robbe
    Description:
    Application 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvtray.exe' (pid 4228) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID..
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-RestartManager" Guid="{0888E5EF-9B98-4695-979D-E92CE4247224}" />
        <EventID>10010</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-19T17:29:49.039690700Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2122</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="6220" ThreadID="3564" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2324837519-1572802982-2926356935-1001" />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <RmUnsupportedRestartEvent xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/2005/08/Windows/Reliability/RestartManager/">
          <RmSessionId>0</RmSessionId>
          <Pid>4228</Pid>
          <FullPath>C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvtray.exe</FullPath>
          <DisplayName>NVIDIA Settings</DisplayName>
          <AppVersion>0</AppVersion>
          <AppType>0</AppType>
          <TSSessionId>1</TSSessionId>
          <Status>67108865</Status>
          <Reason>1</Reason>
        </RmUnsupportedRestartEvent>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

13. satrow

Hmm, it might be difficult to troubleshoot without a minidump.

You could try this method to trigger a dump, if it creates one, you can load it in BlueScreenView and use the lower pane to list the loaded drivers by age to track down any that need updating. Carrona.org has a list you can check the loaded drivers against.

14. reaces

reaces Private E-2

I'll do that bit tomorrow, it's turning out to be quite a lot of work to get this one game to work.

Thank you for the help so far.

15. reaces

reaces Private E-2

Updating my audio drivers apparently created more problems, and didn't fix the crash.

Now my realtek audio driver no longer recognises my audio jacks, only my USB audio.

I tried re-installing the audio drivers, rolling them back, and even installing my old audio drivers from my backup-files, my audio jacks just don't show up any more and my headset is no longer detected :confused

That'll teach me to try and solve a small problem, BAM a big one!

Attached Files:

16. satrow

That's a different RealTek CP to mine, I don't have HDMI. What options are listed under the Set default device dropdown?

17. reaces

reaces Private E-2

Set default device.
    Set default communication device.

Edit:

It used to show my audio jacks at the top right under "analog", and now it doesn't.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  18. satrow

That's what I was expecting to see.

I think this new problem deserves a new thread, it'll attract different members and, I'm pretty sure, a quick fix.

19. reaces

reaces Private E-2

Update:
    Sorry for the large hiatus, I had a lot of stuff to do and not much time on the computer, so the problem went on the backburner for a few weeks.

At any rate, the problem persists, and I think I narrowed it down somewhat.
    It's not heat, I've checked with several programs and the heat's stable at around 40-50 degrees.

It's not the drivers, I've reinstalled them 2ce.
    It's not the PSU, the PSU I bought was aimed at upgrading my computer, and is quite heavy for what I'm running.

I installed furmark, and the problem happens there aswell, after a few seconds furmark just shuts off my PC.

So what I'm thinking is, could it be possible that my GPU is unstable? I've been reading up on the subject and asfar as I can tell I should try overclocking the GPU card less, allthough I don't really know where to start, I've never actually done any overclocking before, yet it's apparently possible/highly probable my card was put into my pc already overclocked?

20. reaces

reaces Private E-2

Quick update addendum: Overclocked my pc from 133 to 165 (in increments of 5 each time, it seemed odd that it was at the minimum)
    Switched the fans to manual control, made my own curve of fan speeds that was much higher than what was set up (apparently they were running at 1% most of the time, maybe the automatic control was stuck?....) and to try it out I also tested 100% fan speed, which is a noise I've never heard the computer make before (Jet plane in my living room!) so I take it it never went that high before.
    Switched the power cable from the p16 to the p15 (figured I might aswell try evrything I found on-line at once before I started the game again)

And so far I managed to run the game for 10 minutes without it crashing, which is a whole 9 minutes 30 seconds longer than before, I'll be sure to check it more when I have time again, but once again my day is at an end, agh time, where are you when I need you!

Quick question: the BIOS controls showed my temp at 35° which seems a lot more plausible than the 21° my alienware command center is showing. Does any1 know why theres such a huge gap between the 2? (After opening my pc and feeling the side of my graphic card I'm rather sure the warmer one is correct)

Is it possible the command center was receiving teh wrong temperature data, and as such wasn't increasing the cooling with the added heat from running the game, but the BIOS sensor WAS able to see the heat spike and reacted by turning the pc off?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds