cant connect my laptop or my laptop doesnt detect my tv

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kikiamer, Jun 4, 2010.

1. kikiamer

kikiamer Private E-2

im using a s-video to connect my laptop to my tv, my laptop use to detect my tv after yesterday it suddenly cant detect my tv. now it can no longer detect my tv, i dont know want happen. its been working fine in months ive been using it,just went broke yesterday up to now. hope someone can help. thanks!

2. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

Normally there is a setting in display properties to enable TV out check that.
    What model of laptop is it and what operating system?

3. TheRealGEEK

TheRealGEEK Private First Class

Is the there a CRT/LCD function key on your laptop. Try switching that around. If it doesn't work then go into your display properties on Windows, if your running Windows. Tell us if it works.;)

4. kikiamer

kikiamer Private E-2

@therealgeek: thanks but didnt work.

@voodoo3rd: It is a compaq presario v6000 (v6208au) and windows xp sp3. im using the nvdia control panel to set up multiple displays, it use to detect my tv. already re-installed the nvdia driver,and still cant see the tv in diplay properties. is the s-video socket in my laptop broken? because ive already tried connecting it to another tv. thanks

5. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

Well I presume your setting the TV's to the relevant video in socket, check for bent or damaged pins in the miniDIN connectors.

Also try wiggling the cable at the parts that enters the strain relief and see if you get anything flash on screen.
    Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that BIOS but is there a setting in there for TV out?

6. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

If the nVidia control panel isn't seeing the tv and you've tried connecting it to a different TV, I'd try a different S-vid cable. It IS possible the S-vid socket on the laptop may have an issue if the S-vid cable is something you insert and remove a lot. Socket may need to be re-soldered on motherboard if any of the pin solder connections have cracked over the years.

Sam

7. kikiamer

kikiamer Private E-2

@voodoo3rd: none,theres no setting in the bios for tv-out

@scajjr: already tried using a different s-video cable,just like you said maybe the socket is the one broken.:cry ill just try to use the vga socket.going to find a vga cable with s-video or rca at the other end.is it possible to connect it to tv without using any converter i see in the net?just direct vga to s-video or rca cable.

thanks for the help guys,really appreciate it.

8. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Most of the vga-to-S video adapters have this caution:
    "NOTE: Note Though this adapter works with most video cards, some video cards do not support this adapter. The video card requires NTSC out. Please check with manufacturer of graphics card to confirm."

Sam

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds