generic host process for Win32 services

Discussion in 'Software' started by buzzbee, Nov 2, 2007.

1. buzzbee

buzzbee Private E-2

don't know exactly what's causing my computer to do this. I was fine, no sign of this problem, that I recall, until I downloaded AVG's beta Rootkit killer and ran it. I had also gone to Search (IE on other computers) and removed a bunch of hidden files for an old, very proprietary internet provider-maybe that messed things up.
    anyway, I can boot up fine, log on, fine, often use my computer for a decent amount of time (hour or two, sometimes less) then bam, up pops this window. sometimes it lets me continue to use the www, but not my mailbox, sometimes it decides when my mail is going to arrive, sometimes it kicks me off completely. every time it does this, the icon that says I'm offline or online remains in online possition, no matter whether it's on or offline, and if it's on I can't go off, I have to log off the whole computer-here it is, again...will try to post this, save it if I can't, and go through the process again.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. buzzbee

buzzbee Private E-2

thanks, I did that before posting my problem. none of them seemed to even come close.
    I gave up using the computer with the problem. it crashes on or off line, as long as I have an internet access window opened-doesn't matter if I'm online or not, if I'm in my email box or working offline in my history file.
    for the most recent error I got, which was earlier today when I opened up IE to dig a website out of my history list so I could visit it on this computer, gives an error signature of;

Appname iexplore.exe Appversion 6.0.2900.2180 Modname mshtml.dll

Modversion 6.0.2900.2180 Offset 0012bd68

I don't know if that's any help at all, and it's named different from the ones I got while in my email box. I haven't attempted to sign onto the sick computer today. just opened some windows, but it still flipped out on me.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Well, when you run a beta program, you run the risk of lots of errors. If there is a forum for the beta testers, post there and chances are, you aren't the only one having a problem.
    My guess is that the rootkit killer took out something it should not have.

then you also said
    so you might have removed something that should be there. With the size of today's hard drives, it's better to keep some files that might not be needed than to remove one that windows needs to run properly.

If you have a restore point, go back to the time before you cleaned and tried the beta software.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds