Are you a data lover or hater?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by petertarlan, Sep 20, 2011.

1. petertarlan

petertarlan Private E-2

Hi All,

I am trying to find out how the nation feels towards data and what the general consensus is. I would love to get all your thoughts and opinions too, and being fellow IT and data lovers I thought you might like to take part.

It would be great to see what you have to say and whether you love, live and breathe data or loathe, fear and dislike what it tells you, as there's no denying that data is everywhere and in everything we do.

If this sounds like something you would be interested in. you can either join me on twitter @datalovers or register online to find out more info at lovehatedata dot com- the full scale site will be launching in October.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to MG.
    Beware it is addictive. The Surgeon-General (USA) should post a warning.;)

I use Zulupad, http://www.gersic.com/zulupad/ for cataloguing any data about anything (mostly MG computer stuff)

See thumbnail for SOME of my categories of data.(A-->C)

Bazza

Attached Files:

3. petertarlan

petertarlan Private E-2

Hi bigbazza

Thanks for your response – I am not familiar with ZuluPad myself but will check it out – thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the mention of my site too – did you check out the infographic it is actually very interesting how much data we create and consume each day – astounding.

Are you looking forward to the launch of the iPhone 5 apparently it will be out early October.

Cheers Peter

4. bigbazza

You're welcome. :major
    I must admit I haven't checked your site as yet, but I will. :-o
    As for iPhone 5, I don't even own a cell phone :-D but will read about it.
    Cell (mobile)phones are too expensive in OZ, for monthly fees, for my very limited needs. Even AU$29, per month, would well exceed my needs.

Bazza

===

5. petertarlan

petertarlan Private E-2

I wish I could do without the cellphone at times, never stops ringing at work! Great, thanks bigbazza, if you have any comments about anything feel free to get in touch.

Peter

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Gawd bb, you are organized!:eek:)

7. bigbazza

Wish it were true, in other areas, as well. :-D
    But I do like to accumulate tips, tricks, and traps in stuff I am interested in (and also maybe of use to others, sometime). ;)

I really love Zulupad, so easy to copy and paste stuff to it, ESPECIALLY when combined with ClipDiary. ( http://clipdiary.com/ )
    2 of my 3 most used programs. Very little typing involved.

Bazza

===

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  8. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

@bazza
    Thanks for the tip about zulupad.

Now you have given us most of your trade secrets. ;)

I started investigating after your last tip about ClipDiary.
    Haven't tried it out yet - been looking at other Clipboard utilities also.

Are you using the PRO version of both?

For anyone interested, there is a ZuluPad Wiki and a Zulupad How To Help File.
    The help file is in a .ZIP file but appears to have a .zulu extension, so you have to Add a .TXT extension to the filename
    so that the Operating System knows how to handle it.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    The general subject of "data" is complex and getting into a discussion about what data is, how it's collected, how it's stored,
    how it's presented, how it's interpreted and how it is ultimately Used is sort of like Opening A Can Of Worms.

When I first got interested in computers and had absolutely no prior knowledge about using a computer,
    the thing that interested me the most was the concept of electronically stored and manipulated databases.

The use of and dissemination of data, whether real, true or false, enlightening, cleverly and/or maliciously manipulated, has
    huge effects on how people think and feel about many, many topics.

It affects our economy by influencing what we buy, or don't buy, and what we want, or think we want.
    It affects our political opinions and choices.
    It affects our social mores.

When data is collected, interpreted and presented properly, it can be immensely helpful.
    When data is handled improperly, it can be immensely harmful.

Data by itself isn't good or bad.
    What's important is the "quality" of the data and how we use it.

That's my 2¢.

9. bigbazza

I might as well blow the other secret. :-D
    Combine those 2 with SlickRun for the 3 Essential favourites of mine.

http://www.bayden.com/slickrun/
    http://www.bayden.com/slickrun/1033/SlickRunHelp.aspx

My note: I can type "ex" for Excel, "ej" for eject cd/dvd, cc for CCleaner, freer for FreeRam XP Pro, freec for Freecell, etc.
    Usually you get what you want within 2-5 letters typed.

See thumbnail for partial example of my "Magic Words".
    It is so much faster than navigating through menus, and you can get rid of most of your Shortcuts.

As for Pro versions, I use ClipDiary Pro, but only the free version of Zulupad (I should upgrade ;) ).

Enjoy, :major

Bazza

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  10. bigbazza

One more hint.
    Make sure you keep a copy of Zulupad on another drive, memory stick, or partition each time to update it. Sometimes it forgets its' whereabouts ;) and you data becomes too valuable to lose. I do, after each daily session.:)

Bazza

11. bigbazza

It was after midnight when I posted examples of my SlickRun magic words.

I did not show the "Parameters" you sometimes have to use.
    Actually no different to when you create a normal Shorcut, but simply on a separate line.

See thumbnail for Belarc Advisor, as a MagicWord.
    It looks daunting, but gets much easier after a time :major
    That's one of the most difficult ones. Others are usually much simpler.
    See second thumbnail for a much easier one.:)

Most (90%+) are just like my Opera one (see third thumbnail)

Bazza

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  12. bigbazza

An alternative to Zulupad ?
    I have an MG key, but haven't tried Ashampoo Snap, as yet. :)

See http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=244648

My note: Get it for FREE, with an MG Key.

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds