Wireless issues with a Compaq Presario

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kingnazgul, Dec 22, 2011.

1. kingnazgul

kingnazgul Private E-2

Hello all,

I need help with my laptop. I have a Compaq Presario CQ57-229WM to which I recently installed Windows 7. When the install completed, everything worked fine except the internet connection, wired or wireless. The troubleshooter said that I had no network drivers installed and in device manager there were errors next to Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, and PCI Device. I was able to download a driver pack from HP that got the wired connection working, but after a lot of searching I can't find anything that will fix the wireless LAN. The device manager is still showing that there is no driver for the Network Controller and the PCI Device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

3. JayJav

JayJav Private E-2

Compaq Presario CQ57-229WM Wireless Card Not found

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...veCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5111894

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...1894&softwareitem=ob-97747-1&sw_lang=&ts=true

mandriva.com:

I had the same problem, and this was driving me nuts... that is until I figured it out.

For those of you you haven't done so, download the Ralink 2011 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter drivers from the Network category at: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5111894

For those who already downloaded and installed the drivers and still did not detect your network card, don't panic, the problem resides somewhere else.

Ok, now to the task. Take a look at your F12 button on your keyboard. It has at network icon. If the F12 key is lighted to amber (orange) it means your card is turned off. Press it for about 3 seconds to turn it on (white color). If it turns white, then your issue is solved, and all you have to do is select a network from your network icon (growing bars) in your windows task bar.

If you can't turn your F12 key position to ON, as it was in my case, you have to do the following:
    1) Click on the Windows button on your task bar, and on the search box type cmd and pres ENTER key.

2) Now that the command prompt window is open, type msconfig and press ENTER key.

c) The System Configuration window opens. Locate the Services tab.

d) Now that you are on the Services tab, locate WLAN AutoConfig and uncheck it to deselect it. Click OK and re-start your PC.

Now You should be able to turn ON and OFF your wireless network by pressing F12 key on your key board. You should also be able to discover your network card through device manager. The card will be listed as Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11/b/g/n WiFi Adapter. Just make sure is enabled here.

NOTE: All should be working now. While I was searching for a solution for this issue, I also downloaded some of the utilities listed in the hp support site I mentioned above. Some of these are:

a)Operating System - Enhancements and QFEs: Essential System Updates
    b) HP Power Manager Utility Software (under utilities).
    c) And of course the latest BIOS, and the HP BIOS Update UEFI (under utilities).

I am not sure if these actually helped, but if you are still facing issues you might consider downloading these utilities as well. I highly recommend to download the latest BIOS, regardless. Make sure to NEVER turn off your computer while installing BIOS or you might lose it FORERVER!

Believe it or not, the most important thing I did to solve this problem was pray. I woke up early, prayed to God to give me a good day and help me fix this problem. I went to the computer and it occurred to me to opened the command prompt and type ipconfig. However, for some strange reason (strange?) I typed msconfig instead, and this is when I looked over the Services and discovered WLAN AutoConfig, and ditto!

I hope this helps someone.

4. JayJav

JayJav Private E-2

For the wired connection, download the Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver.

5. dmd3

dmd3 Private E-2

I have solved this issue! Pain in the A!!! Take the battery out of the laptop and remove screw that covers the panel for the wireless card. If you notice there is only one wire connecting your wireless card! Apperently these laptops were sold on Black Friday and they are defective. Contact HP and they will send you a box for repair. I had to take care of two of these for customers! Good Luck

6. kingnazgul

kingnazgul Private E-2

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up fixing it on my own a couple months
    ago and completely forgot I had posted on here...

7. bcbak371

bcbak371 Private E-2

How did you correct this problem. Im having the same issue with my Compaq Presario

8. mrhill85

mrhill85 Private E-2

I search google for Compaq Presario CQ57 sp52421 driver It Fix My Ethernet Problem

The Wireless Is A Hardware Problem : $5.00 Or $10.00 To Replace On Ebay

Type: Driver - Network
    Version: 7.42.304.2011 (22 Apr 2011)
    Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
    File name: sp52421.exe (5.7 MB)

9. nikkolaus

nikkolaus Private E-2

I think I have one of the missing wire cq-57's. Is there really supposed to be two wires going to the wireless card cause on this one there isn't. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds