"Unmountable Boot Volume" problem w/ WinXP

Discussion in 'Software' started by ronyotz, May 2, 2007.

1. ronyotz

ronyotz Private E-2

Hey guys i have this HP laptop with windows xp home edition. Everything was fine with it until this morning when i try to use it, a blue screen appears with a "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME" message, it says a lot of other things but the computer restarts after a few seconds.

I've done a little research and one of the solutions i've found is doing a "chkdsk /r" from the installation disk. I've done that but the process stops at 50% saying that there are errors that cannot be recovered or something like that.

I've tried the "fixboot" command too with no luck.

Any other ideas??

Thanks.

2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

If you have or can borrow a digital camera, do what I do: set it to take video and start recording the monitor before the error screen comes up. Then you can either look at the video on the camera, or if you need it larger, load the video onto something else (plug it into the TV for instance) and move frame by frame until you get to the error message.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds