DVD-RW drive not reading data discs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by archerjp, Jul 11, 2008.

1. archerjp

archerjp Private E-2

I have an Optiarc 7190A http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/products/hhid_dvdburn/index.html, and it's been giving me some unusual troubles. My computer is a hand-built one, not a brand-name one, and runs Windows Vista Professional. I have Roxio Media Creator 8 (full, pro version) installed, and it burns CDs and DVDs without problem, as well as music discs.

The problem comes when I put in a data disc. Windows reads the disc as blank. Always. When I try to 'explore' the disc, it asks if I want to format the blank disc.

This happens with store-bought media as well as self-burned discs. Unless it has an auto-run, but even then about 9 times out of 10, the computer/disc-drive reads it as blank, and refuses to run.

I checked to see if the driver needed to be updated or replaced, but Windows says the driver is up-to-date. The ribbon is connected fine (checked it after getting frustrated as all heck)... and I know I'm missing something... that I must have skipped something simple and stupid. :eek:

Again - the drive reads music CDs, and burns CDs and DVDs (music/data/etc...) without trouble. It's only when it needs to read a data-disc that problems occur.

Any help would be appreciated.

If it is suspected that this is a software/driver issue, a Hijack This Log can be provided once I get home from work.

2. biddy187

biddy187 Private E-2

Hi mate what operating system did these datadics comefrom are they self written from another pc if so it Vista is a pain for reading curtain types of data unclosed discs i.e multisession or packet writing i have seen this before or what you can do is get Nero Drivespeed or something that can test the read spead of the drive but it shouldnt be a bad drive as it reads DVD`s. Hope this helps

3. archerjp

archerjp Private E-2

One of them is from Panasonic for the new digital camcorder I purchased. One was from a Logitech mouse I just bought a week ago, said on the package that it was okay for Vista - though I bought the mouse for my dad's computer, I stuck the CD in the drive just to see if it'd read. No dice.

The other CDs were data CDs perfectly read-able on other people's computers, regardless of what operating system they ran.

Roxio recognizes that the discs are not blank, but Windows itself thinks they're blank. My big issue is that I want the software off the panasonic CD so I can play around with my new camcorder. :-D yay toys. While I'm capable of getting the videos off the camcorder without the software (tried it at work and it works), I really would like to tinker if I can.

It really puzzles me, since I know it's just Windows that's having trouble. Maybe there's a patch I need to get or something? :confused

Or maybe I just need to write Microsoft a nasty email telling them what they can do with their software that doesn't recognize data discs?

:-D

4. archerjp

archerjp Private E-2

No other ideas? The drive is still not recognizing data-discs, whether created by me or created by a professional company. :(

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Google is your friend.. look for a new firmware for your drive.
    Sometimes the firmware is messed up and unable to read disks, there are sites that tell you how to hack the firmware to add media, but that is risky.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Also Sony states there are OEM versions of that drive that some are actually LiteOn so make sure you get the correct firmware. Download Nero's CD tool to make sure what you've got there.

7. archerjp

archerjp Private E-2

Hahaa! I knew I was missing something incredibly stupid. Pox on me for relying so heavily on Windows. You're right - google was most definitely my friend. Upgraded from 1.01 to 1.05 and rebooting. THANK YOU so much!

:heart

UPDATE: It worked, all is reading, everything seems just fine. THANKS again!!!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds