Disabled (locked) settings in security policy in Windows 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amjad, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Hi!

My friednd just installed Windows Server 2003, then he installed Active Directory Service and went to change the security settings. (secpol.msc)

The problem is he can't change anything, everything is disabled (locked), you don't have the ability for instance to change the password complexity or length setting.

What would have happened? Is it possible that he should have disabled all of them first, then installed the Active Directory, then enabled them again?

I don't have full overview of the situation since he called me and didn't explain too much what he did. But I think he didn't change any settings while installing Windows Server 2003 or Active Directory Service.

Amjad!

2. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Hi!
    I'm really sorry for the little info I gave, it must sound confusing.
    I was very busy when I composed the thread.

Anyway, here's the full scenario:
    In Windows Server 2003, we have the following:
    Group Policy Object Editor
    Local Security Policy
    And after installing Active Directory and configuring the server as a domain controller, the following is added:
    Domain Security Policy
    Domain Controller Security Policy

So, here's the problem:
    All previous works except for Group Policy Object Editor, it's not enabled (grey)
    Look at the image, this is the normal situation, where you can configure settings.

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds