"Acquiring Network Address" hangup problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OneStaple, Feb 15, 2007.

1. OneStaple

OneStaple Private E-2

Hey,

I'm having trouble with my network connection and hope someone can help. When I boot up, the computer attempts to attach to the LAN, but gets stuck on "Acquiring network address" and refuses to go past, even if I allow it to attempt for a long time.

I'm running WinXP SP2. We have a RCA DCM425 cable modem with a Netgear WGR614 v6 wireless router attached to it. In my computer, I have a Netgear WG311v2 wireless card and an Intel PRO/100 VE standard network card. I get the same results on both connection types (wireless and hard connection, even straight into the cable modem). Also, there are other computers on the network that attach just fine.

The network connection worked fine last night, when we had five computers (instead of the usual 3) connected to the LAN. I turned my computer off before the others, and the internet connection wasn't working in the morning.

Here's what I've tried:
    --Rebooting (many times)
    --Scanning for malware/spyware - none found (with Ad-aware and Spybot)
    --Using the "repair" option for the network connection
    --Restarting both the cable modem and router
    --Plugging into both the cable modem and router
    --Disabling the windows firewall, Blackice, and Norton AV
    --Uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the network card (the Intel one)
    --Running winsockxpfix
    --Doing a /release and /renew with ipconfig (wouldn't let me do either, cause it said there was nothing available to do it to)
    --Typing in IP info found in the router setup - not totally sure if I got the right stuff, but I'm decently sure...192.168.1.2 through 1.4 were listed as taken by other computers, and 1.1 is the router.
    --Shaking my fist at the computer and threatening it
    --Eating ice cream

I think that's most everything. Any other suggestions (or ways to fix this problem) would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
    --Tyler

2. Giantkiller

Giantkiller Private E-2

Make sure your computer has no static IP settings
    Release any and all IP settings you have now
    Disable wireless and use cable/nic for now
    Shutdown PC
    Reset/power off router
    Once router is all the way up
    power up pc you should get an address asap, then
    go to the routers address - usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Log into the router with the default user/password
    Record all settings
    So you may change them back later -
    Set wireless to open and try that

3. OneStaple

OneStaple Private E-2

When I started having this problem, I went through that process, including releasing IP addresses, restarting the router, using a cable, etc. Nothing with that was working. It was also weird that it stopped working overnight (meaning, it worked when I shut it down before bed, and didn't work when I woke up in the morning...no system changes).

I did manage to restore my internet connect, but only by typing in a static IP address (and subnet, etc.). Allowing an IP address to be assigned by the router still doesn't work.

Thanks,
    --Tyler

4. Giantkiller

Giantkiller Private E-2

I have also had this type of problem berfore many times as this is what I do. Whether DSL or Cable, the router can be affected temporarily or permanently by voltage issues incoming. The modem is built to handle these flux but not a router. You say you reset the router but does this mean you power down and up or did you actually press & hold the reset for 10 seconds, wait 5 minutes and power down the unit and then up? The later being a reset.

If the router was reset and the default address scheme was changed at an earlier set up, then the computer will not get and address because its zip code if you will is no where near the routers after a true reset.

This may sound stupid but make sure your computer is not plugged into the WAN port. As well, try all the computer jacks on the router as one or all may be damaged.

Finally, plug the computer directly into the modem and attempt to obtain a real IP address. If you suceed, then the network card is good and the router is toast. If not, then you are the unfortuante soul who has had the chance to experience a bulls eye with a spike that went from the modem to the router to the comptuer.

In the future, surge protect everything - Phone line, cable line, and the wall jack for power.

5. Giantkiller

Giantkiller Private E-2

I have also had this type of problem berfore many times as this is what I do. Whether DSL or Cable, the router can be affected temporarily or permanently by voltage issues incoming. The modem is built to handle these flux but not a router. You say you reset the router but does this mean you power down and up or did you actually press & hold the reset for 10 seconds, wait 5 minutes and power down the unit and then up? The later being a reset.

If the router was reset and the default address scheme was changed at an earlier set up, then the computer will not get and address because its zip code if you will is no where near the routers after a true reset.

This may sound stupid but make sure your computer is not plugged into the WAN port. As well, try all the computer jacks on the router as one or all may be damaged.

Finally, plug the computer directly into the modem and attempt to obtain a real IP address. If you suceed, then the network card is good and the router is toast. If not, then you are the unfortuante soul who has had the chance to experience a bulls eye with a spike that went from the modem to the router to the comptuer.

In the future, surge protect everything - Phone line, cable line, and the wall jack for power.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

No that doesn't mean the routers toast, it just means the router may need reconfiged.

7. OneStaple

OneStaple Private E-2

I mentioned some details in my first post that make me think these aren't the problems.

For one, my computer was originally attached to the router through a wireless connection, so no spike could pass through from that direct, although a spike could still come from the power cable.

Second, there are three other computers on the network (two wireless, one hard connection). None of them have had any problems.

Third, I already tried a bypass of the router using a cable going straight to the cable modem. Same problem. So I doubt it's the router. Again, other computers on the network can still access through the router and cable modem.

Fourth, I've tried connections both through my wireless network card (to the router) and through a cable on my other network card (to both the router and the cable modem). None of these work when there is no permanent IP address assigned by me and it is waiting for the router/modem to assign one. All these connections work if I type in the IP address. These symptoms make it unlikely that both network cards were damaged, especially as they work when I type in an IP address.

Also, the restarts I did on the router were only a turn off/on, with a 20 second wait in between. I did the same with the cable modem, and allowed the cable modem to come up fully before powering on the router, and then waiting for the router to come up fully before turning on the computer. This did nothing.

It seems more likely that there's some software issue in my computer that is disturbing the connection.

--Tyler

8. Giantkiller

Giantkiller Private E-2

Depending on the location of the computer your signal may be marginal. As well, there may be a new wireless in town on the same channel as yours and broadcasting the same SSID. With a weak signal and or another network, this can confuse anything. Rarely would a network card work all the time on a static IP but not be able to obtain DHCP info from the same router. Something had to have changed. Most likely the hardware. It is also possible to two computers to have the same IP address when one has it and shuts down. Then the expired address is assigned elsewhere. The boxes come up and they argue with each other.

9. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

no they wouldn't if set on dhcp, the shutdown of a box would have released the ip. The only way to get ip conflicts is to have a static ip on each box that conflicts, or to have assigned a static ip that is also given out via dhcp ie if your your router is set to hand out 192.168.1.5-100 and you static assign 192.168.1.5 to a machine. Unlikely.

10. OneStaple

OneStaple Private E-2

All computers on the network use dynamic addresses (except mine now, due to this problem), and I attempted this over the course of multiple days where the other computers were both on and off. Even if all other computers on the network were turned off, I got the same problem.

My signal is strong and has worked for the past six months. No changes were made on either end to positioning.

--Tyler

11. Giantkiller

Giantkiller Private E-2

You did not say if the networking worked 100% of the time with the static IP settings but

There is another item to check. The card itself. It is a common problem that the design of a case and the position of the motherboard will strain the option cards mounting bracket. If this is the case, over time, the bracket of the card will pull the card slowly out of its slot. This makes the card partially seated. Some contact is made in the expansion slot. This would affect all types of expansion cards. Modems, Video, USB .etc Enough for the card to work but the complete functioning is not possible if not fully seated.

Also, make sure that only one point of control for the wireless cards exists on your system. Use either MS control or the utility that came with the card itself. But if the Mfg of the card recommends a choice, use that one only.

I never use the create a network option but if you have, closely examine to make sure the settings on the box itself match the wireless router exactly. The packet size, encryption, protocol, etc

12. Giantkiller

Giantkiller Private E-2

13. Giantkiller

Giantkiller Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds