SONY VAIO VGN-C61HB/P (Japanese model)

Discussion in 'Software' started by daniel5678, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daniel5678

daniel5678 Private E-2

Hi. I searched the forums and googled but haven't been able to fix things. Hoping someone can help.

I installed WIN XP Home Edition over Vista Home Basic due to a virus on a SONY VAIO VGN-C61HB/P. This is a Japanese model and the OS was in Japanese. Sonys US website doesn't have this model listed on their support page. The Japanese page does have it listed. Here's the link if you want to have a look: http://vcl.vaio.sony.co.jp/support/note/vgn-c61hbp.html.

If I could find a compatible US model, I could download the drivers from their US website and, in theory, it might work. At the moment, the unit does not have sound nor does the network adapter allow internet connection.

I've attached the Everest report on this machine. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major
    Well, there is VERY little info on this PC in English. No, I take that back. There is NO info on this PC in English!!! LOL However, I was able to dig thru the Everest report and I have compiled the following links to drivers for Windows XP Home...
    Network: http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?driverId=202
    Video: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Home Edition&lang=eng
    Chipset: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Home Edition&lang=eng
    WiFi: http://download2.dvd-driver.cz/atheros/drivers/ar5xxx/xp32-7.6.0.239-whql.zip (direct link)
    Sound: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Realtek_High_Definition_Audio_for_2KXP03_d4902.html (I'm not 100% sure if this is the right driver rolleyes )
    KB888111 (Microsoft UAA Hi-Def Audio Update) : ftp://ftp.microsoft.com.ar/so/KB888111/eng/kb888111xpsp2.exe (direct link)

Install the chipset driver FIRST, and restart the PC when prompted. Install KB888111 before trying the sound driver. If the sound driver I linked to doesn't work, we'll try something else. The Everest report showed the video driver wasn't installed, so I provided a link to that too. You didn't say which network adapter driver you needed, so I provided links for the wifi and wired connections. GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know how it goes. If you have any problems or questions, feel free to post!

[dlb]
    :-D

3. daniel5678

daniel5678 Private E-2

Thanks for the fast and detailed reply!

I tried installing the chipset driver first but it gave an error message during install. It seemed to hang at "difxapi.dll." I rebooted and tried again but the same thing happened.

I had tried installing some other drivers the other day. These were ones from Sonys US site for models I thought might be similar to mine. Anyway, I didn't want to go further in installing the other drivers you listed.

So, what to do now....

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Most of the drivers I linked to can be extracted. Download and install TUGZip and click Next all the way through the install. On the final screen, you'll see a column on the left where it lists many different compression/archiving formats; click the Select All button under this column, click Finish, and close the Explorer-like window that opens next. Right click on the driver to be extracted and select the 2nd upward pointing green arrow; it should say "Extract to: .\%filename%". This will extract the file to a folder of the same name.
    1. Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.
    2. Right-click the device and click Properties.
    3. In the Properties window click the Driver tab.
    4. Click the Update Driver button.
    5. In the Hardware Update Wizard point Windows to the location of the drivers you unzipped previously on your hard disk drive.
    If the driver is not compatible, it simply won't install and you'll get a message like "Cannot install hardware" and won't cause any problems. This is how I install drivers 99% of the time; I only use installer .EXE files when absolutely necessary.

5. daniel5678

daniel5678 Private E-2

Thanks again for the quick reply!

I downloaded and installed TUGZIP. The Chipset driver only comes in .exe format and is still giving me the error when I tried installing it. I think this must be because I tried to install some drivers before...(?)

I have internet connection in my classroom. I'm going away for a few days here in Japan and when I come back, I'll report the latest. Thanks again for your help! Happy New Years.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

TUGZip will unzip .exe files. However, the chipset usually doesn't have drivers that can be installed by pointing the hardware wizard to .inf files.... usually.... try it anyway, it can't hurt.

Have a Happy New Year! :drink :dancer :wine
    Keep in touch!

7. daniel5678

daniel5678 Private E-2

Hello!

Thanks again for your last mail. When I got back Sunday I tried installing the chipset driver but it still failed during .exe installation. Something about a bad ntdll.dll file. I tried replacing the .dll but couldn't.

So I tried updating the network driver and got it recognized. Then I was able to get online with that laptop and installed Servicepack 2. That allowed the chipset driver to intall.

At this point, the laptop is running fine again as far as I can tell! :) However when I look in the device manager, I'm still seeing exclamation points for:

1) Mass storage controller
    2) Modem device on high definition audio bus
    3) USB device

I tried updating the drivers for all 3 by pointing to the unzipped chipset driver files. But no go. Any ideas? I've attached the latest Everest report again. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

8. adzleese

adzleese Private E-2

I am having a similar problem to the one you had back in 2008. I have a Japanese VGN-C61HB - I had previously got rid of Vista and installed XP but due to some recent issues I've re-installed XP today and sure enough there are a load of drivers missing - including the wireless and network adaptor meaning I cannot get online. I've tried the links above to the drivers DLB had identified but most of these links no longer work.

Can anyone help me identify and locate these drivers?

Thanks

Adz

9. daniel5678

daniel5678 Private E-2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds