Can't access internet from some user accounts - please help

Discussion in 'Software' started by dnp1, Sep 2, 2004.

1. dnp1

dnp1 Private E-2

HI,

I have a Dell 4600 Dinension (2.4GHz/512MB/WinXP Pro 5.1.2600 with SP1 system. The IE version is 6.0.2800.1106 with 128 bit strength.

I read the required "Before you post..." sticky. I did extensive search at this website, but could not find a solution, hence this new thread.

I use CableOne as my ISP for cable broadband (3Mbps). I have four user accounts, all with Administrator access privileges. We all used to be able to connect to internet till a few days ago, Now only I can access internet from my user account, but my family can't access internet from their accounts. The page erros out saying "This Page Can't be Displayed".

I created a new user account from my use account and tried to access internet from there, but I got the same error. I did not want to delete the other three user accounts before verifying if I created a new one, it wouldn't have the same error (and it did as I said).

I checked the Internet Options on all four use accounts, and they are identical. Can you please tell me how I can fix this problem short of re-installing Windows XP? I have a feeling registry may have gotten corrupted for the other three accounts. I run Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and Spysweeper and keep my system up to date with virus and spyware definitions.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help, friends.
    - Divyesh

2. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Do you have the new Ad-Aware SE? That can do a search for ADS plus the old Ad-Aware isn't getting any new updates (I don't think)

3. dnp1

dnp1 Private E-2

Yes, I do use the AdAware SE Personal with the latest definitions. Thanks.

4. Balbanebeoulve

Balbanebeoulve Bal. Balba. Babalabawhosemawhutsie

Well, I'm not sure about your ISP, but most ISPs would help since it has something to do with connection/internet. Just explain your problem, but I wouldn't mention that it may be registry corruption since ISPs love to blame anything they can, hehe.

Also, check to see if your proxy settings are the same under Internet options > connection > LAN settings.

Also, do you have a firewall? How about window's firewall, is that enabled?

The last thing I can suggest is a windows update.

5. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

First of all, what are the "errors" you are getting. That might be a big help.

6. dnp1

dnp1 Private E-2

Hi,

The error I get when I try to launch IE6 is the standard error below:
    The Page cannot be displayed. And then the paragraph that says check browser settings, ISP connections etc.

Even when I type in the url, I get the same error. I even launched Netscape 7 and it couldn't establsih an internet connection.

I do not have Windows firewall or any other ISP firewall enabled.

The Connections...LAN Settings are identical for all user accounts (none of the boxes are checked). Even the Advanced tab is identical (SSL2.0 and 3.0 checked) for all user accounts.

I talked to my ISP, they said they couldn't help if one of the user accounts was being able to access internet.

I am up to date on Windows Update (except SP2 which I have not downloaded as yet).

I check Adaware SE, Spybot and SpySweeper daily and run them without fail.

I do hope I don't have to re-install Windows again.

Please help. Thank you. Have a safe and a happy long weekend.
    - Divyesh

7. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

What are your TCP/IP settings in an account that works?

How do they compare to what they are in a profile that does not work?

How many profiles do you have setup?

How many of them work, and don't work?

When you switch profiles, do you Log off or switch user?

8. dnp1

dnp1 Private E-2

Hi,

I checked the TCP/IP settings of all the profiles - they are identical.

My account is the only one that works, my family members' (three of them) can't access internet at all (neither from cable ISP or even Juno dial-up access to Juno and IE after logging in to Juno)!!!!

I also created a user account called test1 to see if that would work froom my profile, but, alas, that doesn't either!

When I go to another user account from mine, I switch user and do not log off.

I am really baffled by this problem. Please, please help. Thank you.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What is the IP address from the account that works, and what is the IP from one that doesn't?

from a cmd.exe prompt, type:

ipconfig /all

10. dnp1

dnp1 Private E-2

The IP address 24.119.46.234 is identical for all accounts - one of which allows me to access internet and all the remaining 4 accounts do not allow me to access internet. Please help. Thanks.

11. badflash

badflash Private E-2

Goto start then log off then log back in on startup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds