CD/DVD rom & CDRW Drives not showing in My Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by juan11385, May 26, 2006.

1. juan11385

juan11385 Private E-2

I just finished doing a cleaning of my nephews computer.He has a Dell Dimensions 2400 with Pentium 4, 256MB memory and a 80GB hard drive. He is running windows xp home edition. We opened up the tower to clean out all the dust using air cans. We were very careful not to touch any wiring or connections to the CD roms or hard drive. We were ready to install 256MB chip more of memory to make it 512MB. However he purchased the wrong chip so we did not install it. I did remove the memory stick it had to show him what to purchase. I then made sure we reinstalled it back properly and tightly. We also installed tune up 2006 and Norton system works to clean out his system. I had tested the cd roms and they seemed to be working. Then my nephew tried to install his I-pod software and the program did not open itself. He then went to my computer to open the software manually and realized that the d:/drive and the e:/drives were not showing. I tried updating the drivers with no luck. My next step was to delete the cd rom's in device manager and reboot the sysytem. The system recognized the hardware and installed the drivers but the cd roms still do not appear in My Computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW I also tried to do a system restore to an earlier date but windows xp could not restore to an earlier date.

2. Borsung

Borsung Corporal

Ya i had this problem with one of my CD drives. For some reason startup did not show the cd rom, just one of them. SO i let it go for about a month, before i decided to get it fixed. The first thing i did was open the case, unplug the power to the cd-rom, and plug it back in, and wa-la! it worked.

If that does not work, try a different power plug wire thing(assuming you have extras in ur comp case sittin around like mine). If that doesnt work, the only other thing i can think of is, the drive is b0rked. Hope this works for you!

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its not a hardware problem if it shows in Device Manager...

Whats the error code for them in Device Manager?

4. juan11385

juan11385 Private E-2

the code I see is 041 in the Driver Usage box

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. juan11385

juan11385 Private E-2

Thanks, I'll look into it.

7. juan11385

juan11385 Private E-2

I wanted to know how to reinstall the OS even though the CD-Rom is not working. Is there another way? The computer does not have a floppy drive either.

8. MattyD.

MattyD. Private E-2

-I'm having a similar problem here. My cd-roms will be listed under My Computer when I start my pc up. But if I try to rip a disc, an error will show up saying that it can't read part or all of the disc. Then when I click on My Computer, both cd-roms are gone from the list. I have a standard Samsung cd-rom and an LG cd-rw 52x32x52. And they aren't listed in Device Manager either. But before this error happens they are listed in the Device Manager. Any clues to what gives? I've even diconnected and reconnected the power supply cables and the ribbon cables. And once again, they're there when I reboot, but dissappear when I try to rip a cd. This never happened before until just recently. Any clues??? Thanks in advance.

L8R,
    Matt D.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds