4.5 minute boot!!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by ej1245, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Hi, I have a HP laptop that has a boot issue. I just uninstalled norton atv 2004 pro, installed zonealarm suite and now it takes 4.5 minutes to boot. (its always been slow, but this is ridiculous) I tried shutting down zonealarm, but that didn't help. I defragged, cut startups to 5 prgms, don't see any driver conflicts. I ran a registry cleaner and registry optimizer, no good. Then I decided to try bootvis. However when the program shuts down the laptop, when it comes back up again to perform the trace it will only go to last known good or safe mode, so the trace is never completed. The laptop runs fine once its booted. Any ideas how I can get bootvis to run or any other things I can try aside from reinstalling XP??? :(

2. pacpis

pacpis Private E-2

Can u tell more about ur laptop specifications, and how long did it take before uninstalling norton atv 2004 pro and installing zonealarm suite ?

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I always suspect ZA for any issues that arise after it is installed. It does a good job of hiding you machine from probing via the Internet, but seems to be a real PITA. Most security suites today are real resource hogs, especially on older machines, unless you trim services. You "tried" shutting down ZA? I feel for you. I had Norton for two years and finally gave up on it. I went with PC-cillin and have used it ever since. When its current license expires I will go with Comodo for a firewall, and probably purchase just a commercial AV from Trend Micro or Kaspersky.

Bug

"Got Linux?"

4. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

have you tried running any spyware scans, or antivirus scans? it could be that stuff is running in the background? more details on you laptop would be helpful (how much memory, ram, etc., etc.). also, are you sure that there are no remnants of norton? i'd d/l and run this (if you haven't).

Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) <-- Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2007
  5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Windows Task Manager.
    Click on the Processes tab.
    Click on the Image Name heading to sort the processes alphabetically.
    Is anything from Symantec/Norton listed?

Tell us the # of Processes listed. Check out the bottom left for the #.

If possible post an attachment of the names of all processes listed.
    Use a screenprint program, rather than type them, if you can.
    Don't worry if you have multiple instances of svchost.exe. This is normal.

As others mentioned, additional specs would be helpful.

Bazza

6. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

I have 32 processes now, no norton or symantec. I did chkdisk and had it repair any errors it found, that took 2 hrs and shaved 1 min off boot time, finally got bootvis to work too, but it still takes over 3 min to boot. Zonealarm suite doesn't help either, I think that stalls boot too.

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

How about disabling ZoneAlarm from launching during startup and check your time. Disconnect from the Internet first so that you're not online without firewall protection.

8. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

yes, i did that, came in at 3.5 minutes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds