Problems w. video-preview thumnail in Windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by Help-is-needed-quickly, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Hi,

Starting from this last month or two I have had this strange problem that all my videos (Avi, DivX, mgeg) is not showing the beginning of the video in the thumnail. (large icons showing).

In comparison when having my jpeg pictures set to large icons, I see these small previews of them over each title. The same was the case with my vids up until recently.

Can anyone assist me on this, cause it is quite annoying not to be able to see, the previews.

I am running windows XP pro - all updated from Windows Update

Any surggestions?? THANKS

2. Sir_DUke

Sir_DUke Private E-2

In my personal experience movies do not play when moused-over but rather they display black, blank boxes. Images do however show thumbnails when viewed in thumbnail view in Win.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ahhh, but they do. I have Live previews with video--in Vista.

4. Well, i know that the vids dont play, when moused-over.. What i am trying to get back to, is that all my vids show the first frame when viewed as large icons in Windows XP.
    (similar to jpeg-files.) but somehow that feature has "gone away". All i see now (in large icon view) is this icon saying: AVI
    but no first frame picture...

what can I do??

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

To re-enable, or turn on the media preview: at ommnd prompt, type the following
    regsvr32 shmedia.dll

6. To plodr,

THANKS - problem solved!
    What should we novices do without the expertise from experts like you?
    :)
    Bye

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds