Linksys nightmare -- Can't print while online via router / print server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lemon_123, Nov 11, 2004.

1. lemon_123

lemon_123 Private E-2

Hello. I am a computer novice reaching out to anyone who might be able to help me get my small(and what should be simple) network set up. The purpose of my network is for file sharing between two computers and for printing from each computer to a single printer. After exhausting
    calls to Linksys tech support and HP / Windows support, I have finally been able to get my computers to communicate. I am currently able to share files between the computers, and both computers are able to communicate with the router and print server.

Here’s my setup: HP desktop computer running Windows XP Home edition Service Pack 1 (HP pavillion / AMD Athlon XP 3200+ / 2.19 GHZ / 448 MD RAM). This computer is directly connected via ethernet cable to a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (model WRT54G). The router is connected to a Linksys Print Server (model PSUS4), which is then connected via USB cable to a Brother printer (MFC-8840D). I also have a laptop computer running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 with an internal 54G wireless lan card (Mobile AMD Athlon 4 2400+ / 1.05 GHZ / 448 MB RAM). My internet service is via dial-up, which I am not trying to share or configure through the router (each computer connects directly from modem to wall jack).

I should note that I successfully used this same network setup for more than 6 months without any problems with a pentium 2 desktop computer running Windows 98. All of the problems arose when I got the new HP desktop running Windows XP.

Here is my current problem: When connected to the internet (either computer) I cannot print from any programs on either computer. When connected to the internet, I’ve checked the ping commands which demonstrate successful communication with both the router and print server (I’ve checked both computers). After disconnecting from the internet, the information will print.

Linksys tech support has been a nightmare. HP tech support has been less than helpful, claiming there is an internal firewall in the linksys router causing the problem. Linksys disagrees. I’ve spent over 28 hours on the phone with tech support, and I am tired of the superficial and
    inaccurate advice with such offerings such as the system components are not compatible and will not work – over an over – every step of the way. I keep calling back, trying to get someone else, and what was not possible the last call somehow then gets resolved the during my next call. However, I am currently stalled with the above print problem with no more help from Linksys.
    Help!

2. ColinPayne

ColinPayne Private E-2

Have you tried instead of using a print server just connect the printer to the desktop and enable sharing? Try that and get back to us.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds