how to bypass the windows boot manager screen?

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomg, May 26, 2010.

1. tomg

tomg Private First Class

I recently upgraded Vista HOme Premium to Windows 7 home premium...i bought the disk from Microsoft, and unless I screwed things up, I think I did a clean install.

Everything is working perfectly, except...

Each time I boot up, I get a black screen with white letters...asking me to choose Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

How can I bypass this?

THanks in advance

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

This screen is suggesting that you still have Vista installed. Do you? If not, then download and install easyBCD, a program that allows you to edit the boot screen, the screen you are seeing. If you remove the Vista entry from the screen (if you are sure you do not have it any more) then it should bypass it entirely as there are no choices, just Windows 7.

EasyBCD is available here for free: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

3. tomg

tomg Private First Class

dumb question, but how would I know if Vista is still installed? When I right click on my computer, then click on properties, it tells me windows 7 is installed...i'm not sure how to tell if VIsta is also installed.

i checked the d drive, and it shows a "windows old" folder but it is empty

thx

4. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

noob question, did they do away with the boot.ini file?

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Vista/Windows 7 now use a boot manager application.

What drives do you have in your computer and what is in them?

Another way of testing would be to select the Vista option on startup to see if it actually starts up.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

select it at the boot menu and see if Vista runs.

7. tomg

tomg Private First Class

thanks everyone for the tips....easy bcd software did the trick...deleted the reference to Vista in the boot manager, and the PC fires right up now!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds