removing McAfee Application Installer Cleanup from NT services

Discussion in 'Software' started by tritonobx, Nov 18, 2008.

1. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Running XPsp3, just removed all things McAfee from pc, everything seems to be gone except this 023 service in system configuration utility, and hijackthis scans still show it. HJT describes the associated Windows temp file 017462~1.exe as missing. Really want to remove this service. Thanks!

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Sounds like McAfee is wiped from your system but msconfig is still showing a startup entry for it. If that is the case you need to use the registry editor to remove the listing. Most non-Windows startup items are listed either in the startup folder listed under All Programs, the folder itself is in Documents and Settings, or in the registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. You should back up your registry with ERUNT or another suitable program before editing the registry, just in case. Start>Run>regedit>OK, under My Computer open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, scroll down to Run and click on it, the entry should be there. Right click on it and choose delete. Hope I made some sense of it. You may also be able to use CCleaner's registry cleanup utility to rectify the errant listing.

3. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I've run the mcAfee removal tool twice and looked at your post about startups, but this is not a windows start up item, its a lingering NT 023 service showing in system config utility. Unchecking it there changes simply kicks Windows out of normal startup, not what I want. Still open to suggestions on how to kill this service. All other traces of mcAfee are gone, including registry entries.

4. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

RESOLVED....by disabling it in Windows services, then using HJT 'delete an NT service' tool. This removed the service from system configuration utility as desired. Thanks for your inputs, many times they help by process of elimination.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds