arctic silver 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steve Max, Jan 1, 2004.

1. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

This should maybe in cooling and modding but oh well. I have been using Antec Refrence for thermal grease lately but was curious in how as5 would perform. In the arcticles I have read it said that this stuff was thick and a little more difficult to apply than previous ones. Yep. This stuff is sticky and thick! The rig I am trying it on (the temp is out if it seems high). Pad gave me 56c, went to antec reference, dropped to 53c and now with just turning it on and no breaking in period its 52c. And should get better. Was it worth it. Probably not for me but overclockers yes. It aint cheap either, although I see priced are going down. I don't know if anyone else has tested this stuff. Thought some people might be curious as I.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2004
  2. Raider

Raider Private First Class

Arctic Silver 5 ??? what happened to 4? The last I bought was AS3 did they just skip right over 4?

3. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

I guess that 4 in japanese or chinese I don't know which means "DEATH' so they skipped that number.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Thought I read 5 has a 300hr burn in

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Yeah 4 is unlucky in chineese, could be part of the reason winamp skipped 4 as well.. but probably not :p

I'm using AS5 right now, (well, I should be at least... :S ... im not very good at putting heat sinks on, so I get someone else to do it for me, its just one of those things!)

Anyway, running at a nice 69c ... what?!?! wtf is going on here? Ah, the fan was turned down.. that would be it... well, anyway usually under load it gets to about 53C with my Aero V cooler. Using an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ btw, on an Abit board. I havnt put any extra fans into the rig yet, but I plan to do a window kit and fans all in one go.

Ah, just in the space of this post the temp has gone down to 60C, starting to return to normal :S thats bloody high if you ask me, oh well

6. acejones

acejones A Different Title

yeah...not. :D winamp 5 is a combo of winamp 2x and 3x...2+3=5

7. Cashy

Cashy Private First Class

Well I'm screwed, born 4-4.:(

AS5, as I've read isn't that much of an improvement over AS3, or Ceramique.

8. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

I'm not too fond of AS5 myself... i helped a friend build a system with AS5 and his system runs a good 15 degrees higher than an identical system I built for someone using AS3 (better heatsink on mine too, but still... 15 degrees C?)

i've yet to hear anyone claim its better than AS3... so until then i'll stay.

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ive seen its got a really long burn in period. Oh well better just run 3DMark for a few weeks :p

10. superstang29

superstang29 Private E-2

Hello! I use the artic5 and it works great.I have a burton 2500+ with a volcano 11+ and overclocked to 3200+.It runs 38 cel. and 41 cel under load.It did take a good week to break in the artic silver 5.I have a koolance water cooling system comin.It is a salvaged one.It has every part from the case and I'm puttin it in a raidmax case.Its the one with the front door coverin the bays.The new artic silver is better then the older one I think!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds