Windows XPired

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by the mekanic, Oct 23, 2014.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Well, here it is seven months later, and I am still finding people still running an unsupported OS (sans the RT patch).

Do people not grasp the security risks?

Honestly, it's time to let go...

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I agree. I never get hanging on to old operating systems, but I suppose it's people's prerogative.

There are many techs on here that just like it the best. At least they know what they are doing. There are probably people who are ignorant about the whole thing. Then there are the people that can't afford to go buy a new system.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

I believe we are down to one computer at work that HAS to have XP on it. Since the software on it is only supported with XP. I've tried to P2V it, nope. I've tried to update the binaries and recompile the software to work with windows 7, nope. So, we block the XP machine from accessing the internet.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

We still have some XP computers at work. At my home, I have joyfully embraced 16GB RAM and a nice 64 bit OS! Really liking the Win7.

5. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

When we updated to Win7 a few years ago we never looked back. :)

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

We won't let XP machines on the network.

7. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

We have one machine at the arena that's still on XP, but it's a closed system not even a little hooked up to anything like the internet. If we upgrade that machine, we also have to buy new software to run the four-sided LED board inside our scoreboard, and that'll happen about the twelfth of never. This is the same company that wouldn't buy Photoshop for the machine that runs our LED ribbon board, so we cannot create or edit content on-site.

8. the mekanic

Actually had a client still running three XP machines, one laptop and two desktops sharing networked drives. Client could not download attachments, so permissions were altered to allow it. :foolish Y'all can probably guess what happened next, and it was about as bad as it gets: Cryptovirus 2.0 :eek

Lost a few months worth of data :cry, but thankfully had the previous three years prior backed up.

9. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

There was only a few computers at my old workplace that required Windows 98 for running legacy applications, but thankfully all applications that were compatible with Windows XP are compatible with Windows 7 and 8/8.1. However, almost all the applications they use (it was a trucking company, so they have a large amount of proprietary interface/logging software) are only compatible with 32-bit operating systems, so I told them good luck when Windows moves to 64-bit only! I don't know exactly when that'll happen, but I'm guessing within the next two major releases, as every processor from AMD and Intel now supports 64-bit (even ARM, IIRC) so there is no reason other than backwards compatibility to release two architectural versions of Windows anymore.

10. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I agree with LauraR about some people just can't afford new systems. Some people don't have cell phones, big tv's cable or internet. Some don't even haves boxes to get the mandated digital tv. It's all out of their pocketbook range. Companies and the govt all think we all have internet access and digital access to libraries and offices and bank accounts for direct deposit. Most in fact don't. (I don't have statistics-just what I see in everyday life.) SOme folks don't even know or care what XP is!That being said- I have most old os's on 3.5 or cd or dvd.Some I don't even know if they would install on any of my hardware which is modest by today's. I don't think xp would recongnize all my hardware. More people don't know of vmware either. Company's hanging on is a whole different story.

11. oma

oma MajorGeek

Well, my daughter told me today that she is using Win XP at home for business. The PC is the banks' property. She works for a big bank and 5 people in total of her department work from home and all 5 use XP. :eek The people who work at the main location's department use Win 7.

Yesterday she wasn't able to sign into the Co.'s computer and she had to drive into work (it took her almost 2 hours each way). She took the day off today so no clue what will happen next Monday.

12. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Yeah. I see xp pro on computers at my company and here direct deposit or street mail is the only way to get paid! Both are a scary option especially if they're connecting to the bank on xp. Don't know if they're paying for extra support time or not but even then it is still scary from my point of view.

13. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Laura has the right explanation why people and companies are still on XP.
    My question is why MS does not phase XP out slowly by increasing the support price.

End free updates and if vulnerabilities are too hard to fix stop that service. Slowly increase the price of support until companies see it is cheaper to upgrade. As it is now companies see no reason to change until it's too late.

14. theefool

theefool Geekified

We have a few server 2003 that will expire next year, that I'm sloooowly updating to 2008 (32bit).
    When those 2008 servers expire, never mind, don't want to think about it.

People wonder why IT does not upgrade to the latest and greatest. It comes down to spending $$$$$$'s on the upgrade process. It works great, why upgrade?

15. the mekanic

You can get a copy of Win 7 Home Premium for 50 or 60 bucks.

Heck, the license key for Win 7 Ultimate cost me 90 and the Digital River images are available in 32 or 64 bit. The same key will activate either version.

I realize a lot of things in the tech world are complex, but backing up data and installing an OS are not.

As far as upgrading, look at emulators. They have one for every console PS2 and earlier. Hackers have XP's number. What's cheaper in the long run? Upgrading, or being hacked?

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

They did, @ 200 per device, though they put in a ceiling of 250k. I am thinking they did that because companies would still use XP, and be even less protected.

The recent attacks on Target and such were made possible because XP, even supported such as POS, is not securable anymore. The attacks used preyed on its weak memory protection, and that requires more than just a patch to fix.

Hackers have found a way to attack XP ATMs and make them spit out money, wirelessly.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Ah, now where do I download this from:
    :-D

Joking of course.

18. Crimson1077

Crimson1077 MG - Offical "Active" Team Member

Man, That was a great OS... had a lot of good memories! Like getting to the point where i wanted to punch my monitor... head butt the keyboard... ah... Good times... good times! :)

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Windows 8 punches you. :-D

20. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I understand people hanging onto the older OSs simply because they are comfortable with it.

All the hospitals in Belgium ran XP untill windows 8 was annoused and they quickly turned over to windows 7 before the deadline.

I have a windows 8 PC but it just sits there gathering dust because i hate it and will stick with my windows 7 untill something better comes along.

just as a personal thing i wasted 500$ buying windows 8.

21. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I think most of that isn't OS fear, it's more of "If it ain't broke.." mentality. I mean, to those of us who are on to bigger better things, it's broke, but to say - my Grandpa, for example, he only uses his computer which is about 10 years old to check his email, so... it still runs just fine, why update or replace it? When I was doing over the phone tech support, all the people I ran into with that mentality were.. well.. old. They were old. :p

I had that problem for a while. I got a brand new system with XP and then 3 months later the next windows dropped. I was not paying for a new OS on a brand new machine :p

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Technically, it is 'broke' though.

23. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Adry has good points.
    But most people don't think XP is broke until it causes them problems. IT knows better and as Adry says they have an out if they want to pay. Regular folks need a LOT of BSOD before they think it is broke.
    Maybe it is a social problem, not a technical one?

As far as the ATM hacks, the government needs to step in with punitive damages large enough to scare companies into upgrading. CEO's need to fear jail time and IT needs to hear "you gotta upgrade" from the legal or budgeting department. This is what happened in the pollution sector and we made progress. Before CEO's were afraid of pollution laws due to costs or jail time a lot of pollution continued.

24. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Are you talking about the gubment that can't even seem to get a website to work, after spending over $600 million or so?

Yeah, I want their advice on computer stuff. :-D

25. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

*snerk* It's sad but truuuuuee....

26. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

"Are you talking about the gubment that can't even seem to get a website to work, after spending over $600 million or so?"
    Actually, yes. The government is horrible at making software, but they are really good at scaring people and companies into compliance. Effective laws on keeping ATM's up to date do not require much expertise in how ATM's work.

27. Speculant

I'm lucky because my bank is in the same building where I work, so I never have to go to an ATM to get cash or have to purchase a checkbook (I use cashier's checks for the rare occasion where I can't use cash or my debit card, e.g. rent), I can always go to my bank and talk to real people! However, if it reaches a point in the future when I am unable to go to the bank I use on a daily basis (job change, move, etc), I will most likely use a checkbook instead of using an ATM.

Knowing that most ATMs run Windows embedded (and most an OLD version of Windows embedded at that) I just can't trust them. I've seen how easy it is for Backtrack to compromise a fully patched, XP SP3 box.

28. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Interesting. Not to get HBT, but what section of the Constitution is 'scaring people and companies into compliance' covered?

Just joking with you, not sure how the FDIC part works, would not surprise me to find out the gubment is paying the banks for some of the $ stolen. You would think the banks would fix the issue... Kinda like finding out your deadbolt no longer works, but using it anyway instead of upgrading it. Pretty stupid on the banks part.

But often, when the gubment tries to 'fix' something, it gets worse. :-D

I have not used an ATM in 15 years. Why? I have a debit card, we got the interweb... What do people use ATMs for?

29. Speculant

To get cash for places or items that
    a. you can't use a card to pay for, and you don't have a checkbook/out of checks (i.e. music festivals, county/state fairs, small drive-ins, etc)
    b. you don't want to leave a so-called "paper trail", maybe you're going to a strip club or buying shady/illegal items/services and you wouldn't want anyone else finding out (i.e. the cops or your significant other)

Option b. doesn't have to necessarily be illegal or shady, possibly you share a card/account with your wife and you want to get cash for a birthday present for her and the bank you use is too far away, use an ATM to get cash to buy the gift so she doesn't see a charge on the card statement for a gift store, and figure it out :p

30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

So, your wife is not going to ask why $600 was withdrawn from the ATM while you were in Vegas? No paper trail? You might want to rethink b. You are leaving a big wide paper trail.

If you want to go off the grid so to speak, barter, or use real $. :-D

31. Speculant

You're in Vegas, make $60 into $600 ;)

If you can't do that maybe you shouldn't be in Vegas to begin with...:-D

32. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Gonna put my money on the house. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds