xp pro boots normal but won't boot in safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by jpk1291, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpk1291

jpk1291 Private E-2

Hi. I recently have had modem 633 problems, and while trying to do some suggested fixes, I found out that I cannot boot into safe mode.
    The computer will get to a black screen with safe mode around the edges, and then will boot itself back into normal mode. Trying with command prompt, brings me to a open command prompt window, but 1-2 seconds later boots to normal mode. Any ideas? I guess I need to be in safe mode to truly remove some of my modem and network card drivers which are conflicting. Any ideas are appreciated. JPK

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Have you used MSCONFIG > Bootini > tick Safeboot > Appy and reboot to enter Safemode

3. jpk1291

jpk1291 Private E-2

I'll try that tonight, thanks.

4. jpk1291

jpk1291 Private E-2

I tried the msconfig, but it didn't help at all. If it was supposed to give me another log on option with the xp pro, or windows, startup screen , it didn't work. Using F8 during boot, and then using the 3 safe boot options, it still gets to a safe mode black screen, then restarts in normal mode. Using safe mode with networking goes farther along, i get a warning about wether i want to continue with the safe mode, and can click yes or no. Either answer makes no real difference, it still kicks into normal mode. If I wait too long to read the whole message, it kicks into normal mode also. Any ideas would be appreciated as I am trying to ultimately resolve a network card, modem conflict, which won't allow me to use my modem(633 error). I have been told I need to get into safe mode to clear all old drivers, so I can attempt to reinstall a clean driver setup. THANKS :rolleyes:

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I would check Event Viewer for errors around the time you tried Safe Mode.

Believe it or not, drivers can prevent you from loading into Safe Mode, but not normal mode.

Sounds crazy, but that is straight from a KB article.

6. SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff Private E-2

um you sure its going into normal mode.. i thought this too when i went to safe mode on a laptop the other day.. but it turns out it shows the black screen with safemode typed inthe corners as you described.. but it then goes to a log in screen that looks very much similar to the normal mode login in.. the only difference between the two being that usually safe boots in 800x600 screen resolution where normal will boot to whatever screen resolution you set it to... after you log in it should return to the black screen with safemode typed in the corners...

just a thought though...

7. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Please don't reply (bump) to old threads, it really serves no purpose as the problem is likely long ago fixed. This thread is from 4 years ago.

Thank you!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds